The Comet Is Coming
The Comet Is Coming
|Origin||London, United Kingdom|
|Genres||Nu jazz, funk rock, psychedelic rock, electronic rock, space rock|
|Labels||Impulse! Records The Leaf Label|
|Associated acts||Melt Yourself Down, Polar Bear, Sons of Kemet, The Heliocentrics, Kate Tempest, Soccer96, Shabaka and The Ancestors|
The Comet Is Coming is a London-based band who incorporate elements of jazz, electronica, funk and psychedelic rock. They are signed to Impulse! Records, having originally released albums on UK indy The Leaf Label. They released their debut EP Prophecy on limited edition 12" vinyl on 13 November 2015, with the full-length album Channel The Spirits following on 1 April 2016 both on The Leaf Label. Channel The Spirits was nominated for the 2016 Mercury Music Prize and in 2018 the band signed to Impulse! Records (a division of Universal). In 2019 they announced that their new album would be called Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery and that it would be released on 15 March 2019. The band members go by the pseudonyms "King Shabaka", "Danalogue" and "Betamax"; who are saxophonist Shabaka Hutchings, keyboardist Dan Leavers, and drummer Max Hallett, respectively. Hutchings in this 2013 interview with jazz blog marlbank explains the origins of the name: ''The name of the group comes from a BBC Radiophonic Workshop piece of the same name. Once we heard this piece, with its allusions to sci-fi, cosmic remembrances and general space, it instantly struck a chord. We're exploring new sound worlds and aiming to destroy all musical ideals which are unfit for our purposes so the name stuck.'' 
In an interview with M magazine, Betamax spoke of the band's genesis:
Me and Danalogue the Conqueror play as a psychedelic electro synths and live drums duo called Soccer96. We began to notice a tall shadowy figure present at some of our gigs. At some point he appeared at the side of the stage with his sax in hand. When he got up on stage to play with us it created an explosive shockwave of energy that stunned us all. A couple of weeks later King Shabaka rang me up and said ‘hey let’s make a record’ so we booked three days in Total Refreshment Centre studios. It all came together at an incredible speed. We played and recorded to 1/4 tape with no pre-written material. By the end of three days we had recorded hours of music.
The imagery associated with the band is based around outer space, science fiction and B-movies, as can be seen in the music videos for their singles "Neon Baby" and "Do the Milky Way", as well as in song titles and artwork. "Do the Milky Way" premiered on The Quietus. In a feature in The Guardian in April 2016, the group were described as the "true heirs" of cosmic jazz pioneer Sun Ra, and praised for their "fusion of jazz, Afrobeat and electronica in an improvisational, intergalactic mash-up". The Quietus wrote that although the band is "intrinsically linked to funk...and spiritually linked to all manner of cosmic music via their imagery (and love of space-creating echo and reverb effects), The Comet Is Coming has the feel of an utterly fresh sort of project".
King Shabaka elaborates on the cosmic side of the band and the connection to Sun Ra in the same article, when describing the crystal that dominates the cover of their Prophecy EP. He says, "The other thing about the crystal, metaphorically speaking, is the whole Sun Ra thing of creating your own myths. The thing I like that Sun Ra says a lot is the fact that societies that can create their own mythological structures are the ones that have their own agency. To the point at which you can dictate the terms of what's real and what's not real. The crystal in the hand forces you to create your own myth".
In January 2017 the band was one of the recipients of the Momentum Music Fund through PRS for Music and in April 2017 the band released the Death To The Planet EP through The Leaf Label as part of Record Store Day.
- "Neon Baby" (2015)
- "Do the Milky Way" (2015)
- "Space Carnival" (2016)
- "Final Eclipse" (2017)
- "Summon the Fire" (2019)
- "Unity" (2019)
- "Prophecy". The Leaf Label. 20 November 2015. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- "Channel The Spirits". The Leaf Label. 10 February 2016. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- "Interview: The Comet Is Coming: how the sons of Sun Ra are taking jazz to the outer limits". The Guardian. 1 April 2016. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- "Into the mystic - marlbank". www.marlbank.net. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "Interview: The Comet Is Coming". M. 19 April 2016. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- "WATCH: New The Comet Is Coming". The Quietus. 19 November 2015. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- "The Comet Is Coming: how the sons of Sun Ra are taking jazz to the outer limits". The Guardian. The Guardian. 2016. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
- "The Comet Is Coming: End Days Intensity: The Comet Is Coming Interviewed". The Quietus. The Quietus. 2016. Retrieved 12 May 2016.
- "The Comet Is Coming - Mercury Music Prize". The Leaf Label. The Leaf Label. 2016. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "Mercury Prize Shortlist". The Mercury Prize. The Music Prize. 2016. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "The Comet is Coming, Jamie Isaac, Ms Banks, Our Girl and Jalen N'Gonda among the latest 16 artists to receive Momentum Music Fund support". PRS For Music Foundation. PRS For Music. 2017. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- "Comet is Coming, The - Death To The Planet". recordstoreday.co.uk. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- The Comet Is Coming, Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery. Review by Alex Henderson, NYCJR, March 2019, Issue 203, page 27 - retrieved 6 April 2019.