The Community Group (London Borough of Hounslow)
The Community Group, also known as the Independent Community Group (ICG), and registered with the Electoral Commission as the Community (London Borough of Hounslow), is a small political party based in Isleworth in the London Borough of Hounslow.
The party was founded on 1 January 1994 as the Isleworth Community Group to build a "vibrant community" and to advocate public participation within the decision making processes. It is non-ideological, aiming to reflect local public opinion, and has criticised the "incestuous nature of establishment politics".
Following the 2006 local elections, the group had six councillors, representing Isleworth (Paul Fisher, Phil Andrews and Genevieve Hibbs) and Syon wards (Shirley Fisher, Caroline Andrews and Jon Hardy). They accepted an offer to form a coalition administration with the Conservative group of councillors. This lasted until the Community Group lost all their seats to the Labour Party in the 2010 local elections. The group then debated whether or not to field council candidates in the future.
The party had a motion passed in 2007 that called on the council not to invite the local MPs, Ann Keen and Alan Keen to council events, because the MPs had protested about the inclusion of former National Front member Phil Andrews in the council's new decision-making executive. They did not stand in the 2010 general election in an attempt to increase the chances of the Keens losing, although Alan Keen MP held his seat by a comfortable margin.
Genevieve Hibbs PhD, a former nurse first elected to represent Isleworth in 2002, was the Mayor of Hounslow for a year from May 2008.
- "Community (London Borough of Hounslow)". Electoral Commission. Retrieved 20 February 2010.
- Farquharson, Hannah (8 January 2006). "Why would anyone want to be a councillor?". This is Local London. Retrieved 20 February 2010.
- Andrews, Phil (10 June 2002). "Incestuous nature of establishment politics (letter)". Southern Daily Echo. Retrieved 20 February 2010.
- "Local Elections results". The Times. 9 May 1998. p. 46.
- Abbott, Stephen (22 September 2006). "Preparing for era of honest council". This is Local London. Retrieved 20 February 2010.
- Hill, Dave (29 April 2008). "Profile: Richmond, Kingston and Hounslow". The Guardian. Retrieved 20 February 2010.
- Andrews, Phil (4 June 2010). "Moving forward with confidence and optimism". A Community in Action blog. Retrieved 15 June 2010.
- Briddon, Chris (27 April 2007). "'Nothing will stop us' say Keen MPs". Richmond and Twickenham Times. Retrieved 20 February 2010.
- Boullemier, Richard (11 May 2007). "ICG's 'shocking' new election tactics". Richmond and Twickenham Times. Retrieved 20 February 2010.
- Teed, Paul (11 March 2009). "Protesters angry after Mogden sewage works plan approved". Hounslow and Chiswick Guardian. Retrieved 20 February 2010.
- Thomas, Jessica (6 April 2009). "Fury at plans to expand Mogden sewage plant". Hounslow Chronicle. Retrieved 20 February 2010.
- Cumber, Robert (21 May 2008). "Former West Mid nurse turns Mayor". Hounslow Chronicle. Retrieved 20 February 2010.
- "Hounslow councillor 'ashamed' of racist past". Hounslow Chronicle. 27 October 2009. Retrieved 20 February 2010.