The Complete Book of Dwarves
The cover of the original printing of The Complete Book of Dwarves.
|Illustrator||Gerald Brom, Clyde Caldwell, Larry Elmore, Keith Parkinson, and Karl Waller|
|Series||Player's Handbook Rules Supplements|
|Subject||Dungeons & Dragons|
|Preceded by||The Complete Psionics Handbook|
|Followed by||The Complete Bard's Handbook|
The Complete Book of Dwarves is a supplemental rulebook for the 2nd edition of the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game, published in 1991 by TSR, Inc. It contains a variety of information useful to playing dwarf characters in the game, including information on strongholds, dwarven subraces, character "kits", role-playing, mining, and more. The book was later reprinted in November, 1993, with a slightly different cover.
- 1 Contents
- 2 Publication history
- 3 Reception
- 4 See also
- 5 References
The Complete Book of Dwarves contains an introduction, 11 chapters, and a number of character sheets designed for use by players with dwarf player characters.
"The Creation of Dwarves"
"The Dwarf Subraces"
This chapter describes the six main subraces of dwarves: hill dwarves, mountain dwarves, deep dwarves, sundered dwarves, duergar (also known as gray dwarves), and gully dwarves. This chapter does not contain information on the statistics for the various subraces, focusing instead on the thematic differences between the subraces.
"Your Life as a Dwarf"
The third chapter of the book examines dwarven culture and lifestyle, including information on their clans, view of the world, emotions, diet, marriage, and life cycle.
This chapter contains information on how to create dwarf characters, including statistics for the various subraces and rules regarding maximum levels, ability score modifiers, movement, and age.
The longest chapter in the book, this section describes 24 "character kits" designed for dwarf characters, allowing players to further customize their characters.
"Role Playing and Personalities"
"Designing Dwarf Campaigns"
The final chapter is for Dungeon Masters creating a dwarf-based campaign, containing guidelines such as what dwarf subraces to use, dwarven mythology, campaign environments, and rules on how to create new character kits.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2014)
- Complete Book of Dwarves, The at the Pen & Paper RPG database. Retrieved on December 2, 2008.
- PHBR6: The Complete Book of Dwarves at RPGnet. Retrieved on December 2, 2008.
- The Complete Book of Dwarves at openlibrary. Retrieved on December 2, 2008.
- The Complete Book of Dwarves (1st printing) at the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Archive. Retrieved on December 2, 2008.
- Dwarven Strongholds at candlekeep. Retrieved on December 2, 2008.
- Bambra, Jim. The Complete Book of Dwarves (TSR, Inc., 1993). ISBN 1-56076-110-5.
- The Complete Book of Dwarves (2nd printing) at the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Archive. Retrieved on December 2, 2008.