The Complete Peanuts
|The Complete Peanuts|
The cover to the first volume
|Creator(s)||Charles M. Schulz|
The Complete Peanuts is a series of books containing the entire run of Charles M. Schulz's long-running newspaper comic strip Peanuts. A new book in the series is released every six months, each containing two years of strips (except for the first volume which includes 1950–1952, just under three months longer, though there were no Sunday strips in 1950-51). Slipcased sets of two volumes are also available. A total of 25 volumes will be printed by 2016.
Schulz began to discuss an anthology of his work with Fantagraphics Books in 1997. The idea of a complete compendium of all Peanuts strips, considered the holy grail by fans, was long resisted by Schulz; he did not want some early strips reprinted as he felt they were not as good as the ones he drew later in his career. Indeed, some 2,000 of the 17,897 Peanuts strips had never been compiled into any previous U.S. collection.
Besides Schulz's work, each book contains an introduction by an influential individual (often with a connection to Schulz), an index of themes and characters, additional art by designer Seth (all of which is directly based on a specific Peanuts panel), and a biography of Schulz written by series editor Gary Groth. In addition, the first volume contains an interview with Schulz conducted by Groth and an extended biography. Sunday panels, which originally appeared in color, are presented in black and white in the series (a decision approved by Schulz's widow, Jean Schulz).
All the characters on the covers (and their styles) match the time period each volume represents. The characters which appear on the cover more than once are Charlie Brown (five times), Snoopy (twice), Lucy (twice), Linus (twice), and Peppermint Patty (three).
|#||Title||ISBN||Release date||Cover art||Spine art||Introduction||Pages|
|1||The Complete Peanuts: 1950 to 1952||1-56097-589-X||May 2004||Charlie Brown||Shermy||Garrison Keillor||346|
|2||The Complete Peanuts: 1953 to 1954||1-56097-614-4||October 2004||Lucy van Pelt||Charlotte Braun||Walter Cronkite||328|
|3||The Complete Peanuts: 1955 to 1956||1-56097-647-0||May 2005||Pig-Pen||Patty||Matt Groening||344|
|4||The Complete Peanuts: 1957 to 1958||1-56097-670-5||October 2005||Snoopy||Violet Gray||Jonathan Franzen||344|
|5||The Complete Peanuts: 1959 to 1960||1-56097-671-3||May 2006||Patty||Schroeder||Whoopi Goldberg||344|
|6||The Complete Peanuts: 1961 to 1962||1-56097-672-1||October 2006||Schroeder||Snoopy||Diana Krall||344|
|7||The Complete Peanuts: 1963 to 1964||1-56097-723-X||May 2007||Linus van Pelt||Lucy van Pelt||Bill Meléndez||344|
|8||The Complete Peanuts: 1965 to 1966||1-56097-724-8||August 2007||Charlie Brown||555 95472||Hal Hartley||344|
|9||The Complete Peanuts: 1967 to 1968||1-56097-826-0||April 2008||Violet Gray||Linus van Pelt||John Waters||344|
|10||The Complete Peanuts: 1969 to 1970||1-56097-827-9||October 2008||Snoopy (as the World War I Flying Ace)||Pig-Pen||Mo Willems||344|
|11||The Complete Peanuts: 1971 to 1972||1-60699-145-0||March 2009||Sally Brown||Thibault||Kristin Chenoweth||344|
|12||The Complete Peanuts: 1973 to 1974||1-60699-286-4||August 2009||Woodstock||Frieda||Billie Jean King||344|
|13||The Complete Peanuts: 1975 to 1976||1-60699-345-3||March 2010||Frieda||Charlie Brown||Robert Smigel||344|
|14||The Complete Peanuts: 1977 to 1978||1-60699-375-5||September 2010||Peppermint Patty||Sally Brown||Alec Baldwin||344|
|15||The Complete Peanuts: 1979 to 1980||1-60699-438-7||April 2011||Charlie Brown||José Peterson||Al Roker||344|
|16||The Complete Peanuts: 1981 to 1982||1-60699-471-9||August 2011||Linus van Pelt||Eudora||Lynn Johnston||344|
|17||The Complete Peanuts: 1983 to 1984||1-60699-523-5||March 2012||Franklin||Roy||Leonard Maltin||344|
|18||The Complete Peanuts: 1985 to 1986||1-60699-572-3||August 2012||Spike||Marcie||Patton Oswalt||344|
|19||The Complete Peanuts: 1987 to 1988||1-60699-634-7||April 2013||Lucy van Pelt||Peppermint Patty||Garry Trudeau||344|
|20||The Complete Peanuts: 1989 to 1990||1-60699-680-0||October 2013||Charlie Brown||Franklin||Lemony Snicket||344|
|21||The Complete Peanuts: 1991 to 1992||1-60699-726-2||April 2014||Marcie||Woodstock||Tom Tomorrow||344|
|22||The Complete Peanuts: 1993 to 1994||1-60699-773-4||September 2014||Peppermint Patty||Charlie Brown||344|
|23||The Complete Peanuts: 1995 to 1996||May 2015||Rerun van Pelt|
|24||The Complete Peanuts: 1997 to 1998||October 2015||Peppermint Patty|
|25||The Complete Peanuts: 1999 to 2000||May 2016||Charlie Brown|
All of the volumes are also being released in boxed sets of two, housed in a specially designed slipcase.
|Title||ISBN||Release date||Center character|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1950 to 1954||1-56097-632-2||October 2004||Charlie Brown(Volume 1 cover)|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1955 to 1958||1-56097-687-X||November 2005||Snoopy (Volume 4 cover)|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1959 to 1962||1-56097-774-4||October 2006||Lucy Van Pelt|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1963 to 1966||1-56097-868-6||September 2007||Linus Van Pelt (Volume 7 cover)|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1967 to 1970||1-56097-948-8||October 2008||Snoopy (as the World War I Flying Ace) (Volume 10 cover)|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1971 to 1974||1-60699-287-2||September 2009||Woodstock (Volume 12 cover)|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1975 to 1978||1-60699-376-3||September 2010||Peppermint Patty (Volume 14 cover)|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1979 to 1982||1-60699-472-7||August 2011||Schroeder|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1983 to 1986||1-60699-573-1||August 2012||Spike (Volume 18 cover)|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1987 to 1990||1-60699-681-9||October 2013||Sally Brown|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1991 to 1994||1-60699-774-2||September 2014||Woodstock's Bird Friends|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1995 to 1998|
Peanuts Every Sunday
Peanuts Every Sunday is a series featuring the Peanuts Sunday strips in full color. These books, unlike the Complete Peanuts series, are scheduled to be released one every year, in ten volumes covering half a decade each.
|Title||ISBN||Release date||Character in focus||Pages|
|Peanuts Every Sunday: 1952 to 1955||1-60699-692-4||December 2013||Charlie Brown||288|
|Peanuts Every Sunday: 1956 to 1960||1-60699-794-7||November 2014||Lucy van Pelt||288|
|Peanuts Every Sunday: 1961 to 1965|
|Peanuts Every Sunday: 1966 to 1970|
|Peanuts Every Sunday: 1971 to 1975|
|Peanuts Every Sunday: 1976 to 1980|
|Peanuts Every Sunday: 1981 to 1985|
|Peanuts Every Sunday: 1986 to 1990|
|Peanuts Every Sunday: 1991 to 1995|
|Peanuts Every Sunday: 1996 to 2000|
Free Comic Book Day
Fantagraphics' contribution to the 2007 Free Comic Book Day was a companion comic book to The Complete Peanuts called Unseen Peanuts, which featured various rarely printed strips (the reasons being speculated on in the captions). The comic book is also given away free with the purchase of any of The Complete Peanuts books on Fantagraphics' order catalogs, though they state "only one per person; PLEASE".
All international editions retain the artwork, layout, and format of the original American version (though some of the German volumes feature the original introductions, such as those by Matt Groening and Whoopi Goldberg, while others feature new ones by Germans such as Robert Gernhardt):
- Canongate Books started publication of a UK edition of the series in October 2007, with twelve volumes published as of November 2012, with Volume 5 featuring a different introduction from the US edition, by Russell T Davies.
- Carlsen Comics began publication of a German edition of The Complete Peanuts in October 2006, under the title Peanuts Werkausgabe, with the fifteenth and sixteenth to be released in February and September 2013.
- The Portuguese release of Peanuts - Obra Completa by Edições Afrontamento published the first two volumes in 2006, with the sixth released in 2011. There is no schedule for the publication of the next volumes.
- Dargaud started publishing The Complete Peanuts in France, under the title Snoopy - Intégrales, in November 2005. To date, thirteen volumes have been published.
- in Poland, Nasza Księgarnia began publishing the collected edition in 2008, under the title Fistaszki zebrane, with nine volumes released so far.
- In Spain, Planeta DeAgostini is the publisher of Snoopy y Carlitos, with nine volumes published to date.
- In Brazil, L&PM Editores started publication in November 2009, under the title Peanuts Completo. Five volumes have been released so far.
- "You're High Art, Charlie Brown". The Washington Post article by Tom Beer.
- "The Complete Peanuts 1959–1960". Item page on Amazon.com.
- "The Official Peanuts Website - News". The Official Peanuts Website Announcement.
- "The Complete Peanuts 1950–1952". Item page on Amazon.com.
- "Upcoming Peanuts books". 2012. Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- "About the Complete Peanuts Project". Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- "Complete Peanuts on Canongate".
- "Peanuts Werkausgabe" (in German). Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- "Snoopy - Intégrales - Editions Dargaud" (in French). Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- "Snoopy y Carlitos" (in Spanish). Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- "Charles M. Schulz" (in Portuguese). Retrieved January 21, 2013.
|Wikibooks has a book on the topic of: Annotations of The Complete Peanuts|