The Complete Peanuts
|The Complete Peanuts|
The cover to the first volume
|Publication date||2004 – 2016|
|No. of issues||26|
|Main character(s)||Snoopy, Woodstock, Charlie Brown, Sally Brown, Franklin, Lucy van Pelt, Linus van Pelt, Peppermint Patty|
|Created by||Charles M. Schulz|
|Written by||Charles M. Schulz|
|Artist(s)||Charles M. Schulz|
The Complete Peanuts is a series of books containing the entire run of Charles M. Schulz's long-running newspaper comic strip Peanuts. The series was published at a rate of two volumes per year, each containing two years of strips (except for the first volume which includes 1950–1952). Slipcased sets of two volumes are also available. The series comprises a total of 26 volumes, including a bonus book with sketches, interviews, and other extra material. These hardcover books were first published between 2004–2016. Later Fantagraphics Books also began publishing the series in a softcover format. A companion series titled Peanuts Every Sunday, collecting only the Sunday strips of the Peanuts series, was launched by Fantagraphics in 2013 and is scheduled to run until 2022.
Schulz began to discuss an anthology of his work with Fantagraphics Books in 1997. The idea of a complete compendium of all published Peanuts strips was long resisted by Schulz; he did not want some early strips reprinted as he felt they were not as good as the ones he drew later in his career. Approximately 2,000 of the 17,897 strips had never appeared in a previous U.S. collection.
The first book in the series was published in April 2004 and topped the New York Times Best Seller List.
Besides Schulz's work, each book contains an introduction by an influential individual (often with a connection to Schulz), an index of themes and characters, additional art by designer Seth (all of which is directly based on a specific Peanuts panel), and a biography of Schulz written by series editor Gary Groth. In addition, the first volume contains an interview with Schulz conducted by Groth and an extended biography. Sunday panels, which originally appeared in color, are presented in black and white in the series (a decision approved by Schulz's widow, Jean Schulz). The hardcover volumes measure 8.5 inches (220 mm) × 7 inches (180 mm) while the softcover volumes are 8.25 inches (210 mm) × 6.5 inches (170 mm).
All the characters on the covers (and their styles) match the time period each volume represents.
Volume 25, covering the years 1999 and 2000, also includes the complete run of Schulz's 1947–50 strip Li'l Folks. This precursor includes early versions of Charlie Brown and Snoopy. A 26th and final volume was announced in 2016 which includes hundreds of miscellaneous sketches, designs, short stories, and covers drawn by Schulz.
|#||Title||ISBN||Release date||Cover art||Spine art||Introduction||Page count|
|1||The Complete Peanuts: 1950 to 1952||1-56097-589-X||May 17, 2004||Charlie Brown||Shermy||Garrison Keillor||346|
|2||The Complete Peanuts: 1953 to 1954||1-56097-614-4||October 17, 2004||Lucy van Pelt||Charlotte Braun||Walter Cronkite||344|
|3||The Complete Peanuts: 1955 to 1956||1-56097-647-0||April 17, 2005||Pig-Pen||Patty||Matt Groening||344|
|4||The Complete Peanuts: 1957 to 1958||1-56097-670-5||October 17, 2005||Snoopy||Violet Gray||Jonathan Franzen||314|
|5||The Complete Peanuts: 1959 to 1960||1-56097-671-3||May 17, 2006||Patty||Schroeder||Whoopi Goldberg (US edition)
Russell T Davies (UK edition)
|6||The Complete Peanuts: 1961 to 1962||1-56097-672-1||November 17, 2006||Schroeder||Snoopy||Diana Krall||344|
|7||The Complete Peanuts: 1963 to 1964||1-56097-723-X||May 1, 2007||Linus van Pelt||Lucy van Pelt||Bill Meléndez||344|
|8||The Complete Peanuts: 1965 to 1966||1-56097-724-8||August 29, 2007||Charlie Brown||555 95472||Hal Hartley||344|
|9||The Complete Peanuts: 1967 to 1968||1-56097-826-0||April 23, 2008||Violet Gray||Linus van Pelt||John Waters||344|
|10||The Complete Peanuts: 1969 to 1970||1-56097-827-9||October 19, 2008||Snoopy (as the World War I Flying Ace)||Pig-Pen||Mo Willems||344|
|11||The Complete Peanuts: 1971 to 1972||1-60699-145-0||April 29, 2009||Sally Brown||Thibault||Kristin Chenoweth||344|
|12||The Complete Peanuts: 1973 to 1974||1-60699-286-4||September 8, 2009||Woodstock||Frieda||Billie Jean King||344|
|13||The Complete Peanuts: 1975 to 1976||1-60699-345-3||April 20, 2010||Frieda||Charlie Brown||Robert Smigel||344|
|14||The Complete Peanuts: 1977 to 1978||1-60699-375-5||September 27, 2010||Peppermint Patty||Sally Brown||Alec Baldwin||344|
|15||The Complete Peanuts: 1979 to 1980||1-60699-438-7||April 11, 2011||Charlie Brown||José Peterson||Al Roker||344|
|16||The Complete Peanuts: 1981 to 1982||1-60699-471-9||August 29, 2011||Linus van Pelt||Eudora||Lynn Johnston||344|
|17||The Complete Peanuts: 1983 to 1984||1-60699-523-5||April 3, 2012||Franklin||Roy||Leonard Maltin||344|
|18||The Complete Peanuts: 1985 to 1986||1-60699-572-3||September 19, 2012||Spike||Marcie||Patton Oswalt||344|
|19||The Complete Peanuts: 1987 to 1988||1-60699-634-7||April 6, 2013||Lucy van Pelt||Peppermint Patty||Garry Trudeau||344|
|20||The Complete Peanuts: 1989 to 1990||1-60699-680-0||October 18, 2013||Charlie Brown||Franklin||Lemony Snicket||344|
|21||The Complete Peanuts: 1991 to 1992||1-60699-726-2||June 8, 2014||Marcie||Woodstock||Tom Tomorrow||344|
|22||The Complete Peanuts: 1993 to 1994||1-60699-773-4||October 28, 2014||Peppermint Patty||Molly Volley||Jake Tapper||344|
|23||The Complete Peanuts: 1995 to 1996||1-60699-818-8||July 4, 2015||Snoopy (as the "World Famous Attorney")||Spike||Rifftrax/MST3K||348|
|24||The Complete Peanuts: 1997 to 1998||1-60699-860-9||November 9, 2015||Rerun van Pelt||Royanne Hobbs||Paul Feig||314|
|25||The Complete Peanuts: 1999 to 2000 Plus Li'l Folks||1-60699-913-3||May 10, 2016||Sally Brown||Truffles||Barack Obama||332|
|26||The Complete Peanuts: Comics and Stories||1-60699-957-5||November 22, 2016||Charlie Brown||Rerun van Pelt||Jean Schulz||344|
All of the volumes are also being released in boxed sets of two, housed in a specially designed slipcase.
|Title||ISBN||Release date||Center character|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1950 to 1954||1-56097-632-2||October 17, 2004||Charlie Brown (Volume 1 cover)|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1955 to 1958||1-56097-687-X||October 17, 2005||Snoopy (Volume 4 cover)|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1959 to 1962||1-56097-774-4||November 17, 2006||Lucy van Pelt|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1963 to 1966||1-56097-868-6||August 29, 2007||Linus van Pelt (Volume 7 cover)|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1967 to 1970||1-56097-948-8||October 19, 2008||Snoopy (as the World War I Flying Ace) (Volume 10 cover)|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1971 to 1974||1-60699-287-2||September 8, 2009||Woodstock (Volume 12 cover)|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1975 to 1978||1-60699-376-3||September 27, 2010||Peppermint Patty (Volume 14 cover)|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1979 to 1982||1-60699-472-7||August 29, 2011||Schroeder|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1983 to 1986||1-60699-573-1||September 19, 2012||Spike (Volume 18 cover)|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1987 to 1990||1-60699-681-9||October 18, 2013||Sally Brown|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1991 to 1994||1-60699-774-2||October 28, 2014||Woodstock's bird friends|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1995 to 1998||1-60699-861-7||November 9, 2015||Lucy van Pelt|
|The Complete Peanuts: 1999 to 2000 and Comics and Stories||1-60699-958-3||November 22, 2016||Charlie Brown|
Peanuts Every Sunday
Peanuts Every Sunday is a series featuring the Peanuts Sunday strips in full color. These books, unlike the Complete Peanuts series, are scheduled to be released one every year, in ten volumes covering half a decade each (except the first book, 1952–55). Slip-cased sets of two are also available.
|Title||ISBN||Release date||Character(s) in focus||Introduction||Pages|
|Peanuts Every Sunday: 1952 to 1955||1-60699-692-4||December 2013||Charlie Brown||Jonathan Rosenbaum||288|
|Peanuts Every Sunday: 1956 to 1960||1-60699-794-7||November 2014||Lucy van Pelt||Chuck Klosterman||272|
|Peanuts Every Sunday: 1961 to 1965||1-60699-872-2||November 2015||Charlie Brown and Snoopy||Luc Sante||288|
|Peanuts Every Sunday: 1966 to 1970||1-60699-968-0||November 2016||Lucy van Pelt and Snoopy||Max Apple||288|
|Peanuts Every Sunday: 1971 to 1975||1-68396-063-7||November 2017||Snoopy and Woodstock||Alexander Theroux||288|
|Peanuts Every Sunday: 1976 to 1980||1-68396-141-2||December 2018||Pig-Pen and Peppermint Patty||288|
|Peanuts Every Sunday: 1981 to 1985||2019|
|Peanuts Every Sunday: 1986 to 1990||2020|
|Peanuts Every Sunday: 1991 to 1995||2021|
|Peanuts Every Sunday: 1996 to 2000||2022|
Both the complete series and the Sunday collections are being published in hardback and paperback form, with different covers and supplemental artwork.
The Complete Peanuts have won several awards including:
- 2005 - "Best Archival Collection/Project"
- 2005 - "Best Publication Design" (Seth)
- 2007 - "Best Archival Collection/Project - Strips"
- 2005 - "Special Award for Excellence in Presentation"
- 2005 - "Best Domestic Reprint Project"
- 2007 - "Best Domestic Reprint Project"
- 2008 - "Best Domestic Reprint Project"
- 2009 - "Best Domestic Reprint Project"
All international editions retain the artwork, layout, and format of the original American version (though some of the German volumes feature the original introductions, such as those by Matt Groening and Whoopi Goldberg, while others feature new ones by Germans such as Robert Gernhardt). As of January 2017[update], the following have been printed:
- Canongate Books started publication of a UK edition of the series in October 2007, with all volumes published; Volume 5 features a different introduction from the US edition, by Russell T. Davies.
- Carlsen Comics began publication of a German edition of The Complete Peanuts in October 2006, under the title Peanuts Werkausgabe—21 have been released.
- The Portuguese release of Peanuts – Obra Completa by Edições Afrontamento published the first two volumes in 2006, with the sixth released in 2011. There is no schedule for the publication of the next volumes.
- Dargaud started publishing The Complete Peanuts in France, under the title Snoopy – Intégrales, in November 2005; later volumes were re-titled Snoopy et les Peanuts. To date, 17 volumes have been published.
- In Poland, Nasza Księgarnia began publishing the collected edition in 2008, under the title Fistaszki zebrane, with 19 volumes released so far.
- In Spain, Planeta DeAgostini is the publisher of Snoopy y Carlitos, with 18 volumes published to date.
- In Brazil, L&PM Editores started publication in November 2009, under the title Peanuts Completo. Eight volumes have been released so far.
- In Italy, Panini Comics started publication in April 2005, maintaining the original title The Complete Peanuts. All volumes have been released.
- "You're High Art, Charlie Brown". The Washington Post article by Tom Beer.
- "The Official Peanuts Website – News". The Official Peanuts Website Announcement.
- Gustines, George Gene. New York Times, March 6, 2016. "Obama Pays Tribute to Charlie Brown, Snoopy and the 'Peanuts' Gang".
- "About the Complete Peanuts Project". Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- "Complete Peanuts on Canongate".
- "Peanuts Werkausgabe" (in German). Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- "Snoopy – Intégrales – Editions Dargaud" (in French). Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- "Snoopy y Carlitos" (in Spanish). Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- "Charles M. Schulz" (in Portuguese). Retrieved January 21, 2013.