|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||21–22 minutes|
The Conners is an upcoming American television sitcom created for ABC; it is a spin-off of Roseanne. It follows the Conners, a working-class family, struggling to get by on a limited household income who, after a sudden turn of events, are forced to face the daily struggles of life in their home in the drab fictional mid-state exurb of Lanford, Illinois in a way they never have before. The series is produced by Werner Entertainment, with Bruce Helford serving as showrunner.
The series stars John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Sara Gilbert, Lecy Goranson, Michael Fishman, Emma Kenney, Ames McNamara, Jayden Rey, and Maya Lynne Robinson, with all except Robinson reprising their roles from Roseanne. Development on a spin-off began following the cancellation of Roseanne in May 2018, due to remarks made by Roseanne Barr on Twitter. The next month, ABC ordered the series and confirmed the adult principal cast's involvement, while Kenney, McNamara, and Rey were confirmed in August. It is scheduled to air in the Tuesday, 8:00 PM, slot its predecessor was previously scheduled to hold during the 2018–19 television season. The series is set to premiere on October 16, 2018.
Cast and characters
- John Goodman as Dan Conner
- Laurie Metcalf as Jackie Harris
- Sara Gilbert as Darlene Conner
- Lecy Goranson as Becky Conner-Healy
- Michael Fishman as D.J. Conner
- Emma Kenney as Harris Conner-Healy
- Ames McNamara as Mark Conner-Healy
- Jayden Rey as Mary Conner
- Maya Lynne Robinson as Geena Williams-Conner
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||U.S. viewers|
|1||1||"Keep on Truckin"||TBA||TBA||October 16, 2018||TBD|
On May 29, 2018, ABC cancelled Roseanne, following remarks made by Roseanne Barr, who starred as Roseanne Conner, on Twitter about Valerie Jarrett, a former advisor to Barack Obama. In June, reports swirled that the show could possibly be re-tooled as a spin-off focusing on Sara Gilbert's character Darlene. Around June 15, 2018, reports emerged that ABC was close to making a deal to indeed continue the show as a Darlene-centric program. Barr is not involved in any way in the new program. Barr likely received a one-time payment in return and her racism scandal will be addressed on the show. John Goodman has stated that Roseanne Conner will be killed off.
On June 21, 2018, it was announced that ABC had officially ordered a 10-episode spin-off tentatively titled The Conners, and that it would involve every cast member except Barr. On August 28, 2018, Emma Kenney, Ames McNamara, and Jayden Rey, who starred as Harris Conner-Healy, Mark Conner-Healy, and Mary Conner respectively, throughout the tenth season of Roseanne, were subsequently officially confirmed as series regulars for The Conners.
|1||"Keep On Truckin'"||October 16, 2018||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
- Andreeva, Nellie (June 21, 2018). "'Roseanne' Spinoff 'The Conners' Picked Up By ABC With No Roseanne Barr Involvement". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on June 22, 2018. Retrieved June 21, 2018.
- Hipes, Patrick (August 28, 2018). "'The Conners': Grandkids Including Emma Kenney Returning For ABC's 'Roseanne' Spinoff". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on August 31, 2018. Retrieved August 31, 2018.
- Ausiello, Michael (September 14, 2018). "The Conners Recasts Key Roseanne Role". TVLine. Retrieved September 14, 2018.
- "The Conners Premiere Photos: Is Jackie Delivering Bad News About Roseanne?". September 12, 2018. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- Pallotta, Frank; Stelter, Brian (May 29, 2018). "ABC cancels 'Roseanne' after star's racist Twitter rant". CNN Money. Retrieved May 29, 2018.
- Park, Andrea (May 29, 2018). "ABC cancels "Roseanne" after Barr's racist tweet". CBS News. Retrieved May 29, 2018.
- Duster, Chandelis R. (May 29, 2018). "ABC cancels "Roseanne" after show's star compared Obama adviser to 'ape'". NBC News. Retrieved May 29, 2018.
- Bell, Amanda (June 3, 2018). "These Roseanne Fans Want a Darlene Spinoff, and It Might Just Happen". TV Guide. Retrieved June 3, 2018.
- Michael Ausiello (June 1, 2018). "Roseanne Lives? Sara Gilbert-Fronted Darlene Spinoff Eyed at ABC". TV Line. Retrieved June 3, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (June 16, 2018). "'Roseanne' Spinoff Update: More Progress As Deal Could Come Within A Week". Deadline. Retrieved June 16, 2018.
- Stefansky, Emma. "It Looks Like ABC Really Is Making That Darlene-Centric Roseanne Spin-Off". Vanity Fair. Retrieved June 16, 2018.
- "Roseanne Spinoff Inches Closer to Reality, but 'There Are Still Issues to Hash Out,' Source Says". ‘’People TV Watch‘’. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- "Roseanne's Horror: Barr's Racism Scandal To Be Worked Into Spinoff". ‘’Radar‘’. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- CNN, Sandra Gonzalez,. "John Goodman was 'broken-hearted' after 'Roseanne' cancellation". CNN. Retrieved 2018-09-01.
- Hipes, Patrick (August 31, 2018). "'The Conners' Production Now Underway: First-Look Photo". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on August 31, 2018. Retrieved August 31, 2018.
- Holloway, Daniel (July 24, 2018). "ABC Fall Premiere Dates: 'Roseanne' Spinoff 'The Conners' Sets Debut". Variety. Archived from the original on July 24, 2018. Retrieved July 24, 2018.
- Haring, Bruce (August 7, 2018). "CTV Adds 'The Conners' To Its Tuesday Night Lineup". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on August 31, 2018. Retrieved August 31, 2018.