The Contortionist performing in 2014
|Origin||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|
The Contortionist is an American progressive metal band from Indianapolis, Indiana. Formed in 2007, the band consists of guitarist Robby Baca, guitarist Cameron Maynard, drummer Joey Baca, vocalist Mike Lessard, bassist Jordan Eberhardt, and keyboardist Eric Guenther. They have released three studio albums and three EPs. The band signed with E1 and Good Fight Music in early 2010 . The Contortionist has toured with many bands including Hatebreed, Born of Osiris, Periphery, Between the Buried and Me, All Shall Perish, Veil of Maya, After the Burial, Intervals, and Protest the Hero.
In March 2013, Jonathan Carpenter announced his departure from the band. At the time, Carpenter and his longtime girlfriend (now his wife) were expecting their first child. He left on good terms with the band to focus on his personal life and starting his family. Carpenter commented on his departure:
"It's going to be a jarring change of pace for my life, not being on the road most of the year. Making songs with the band and then performing them in front of the best fans has been a once in a lifetime experience. I wouldn't trade the perspective I've found in the past few years for anything. I got to meet so many amazing people and see a good chunk of the world. I absolutely intend to keep creating and playing music in the future, albeit in a more personal pursuit.
I will miss seeing everyone in the TC family very much. I wish the best to all of my band buds and everyone who supports live music and all this heavy banger music we've been making. I feel very excited for my future with the love of my life and our pups, and our little one on the way. Music has always been one of my passions and that's what drew me to this band in the first place. The music comes first, and I know that the talent of the band will rise above this member change and they will find a new arrangement that will blow your minds."
Robby Baca also commented on Carpenter leaving:
"We are sad to see Jon go, but at the same time remain fully supportive of his decision. We look forward to the process of finding a new vocalist and writing a new record."
Mike Lessard of Last Chance to Reason took over vocal duties for upcoming shows until the band can find a permanent replacement. Mike Lessard commented on filling in for Carpenter:
"I'm happy to be helping my friends in The Contortionist for the next few months on tour as a temporary vocalist. I'll be returning to my duties in Last Chance to Reason once these dates are finished in May. I look forward to seeing a bunch of new and familiar faces in the months to come." 
On June 21, 2013, The Contortionist announced via their Facebook page that Mike Lessard was officially their new vocalist.
On April 23, 2014, The Contortionist announced via Facebook the completion of recording their third full-length album. The album was produced by Jamie King (Between the Buried and Me, He Is Legend, The Human Abstract, among many others). On June 26, 2014, The Contortionist announced on their Facebook page that their new album, entitled Language, will be released September 16, 2014 through eOne and Good Fight Music. It was also officially made known that bassist Christopher Tilley had been replaced by former Scale the Summit bassist, Jordan Eberhardt, for unannounced reasons. During an AMA session, which took place on September 12, a question regarding Christopher Tilley's departure was answered, the band's response was: "Touring and all that comes with it just wasn't what Tilley wanted to do anymore. We love Chris and wish him the best!"
Robby Baca has stated that his influences include Planet X, Pat Metheny, Meshuggah, Allan Holdsworth, Between the Buried and Me, Dream Theater, The Dear Hunter, Textures, and Deftones. Former member Jonathan Carpenter also stated that his personal influences include Dream Theater and ambient composer Brian Eno. Other influences include Rush, Isis, and Cynic.
- "Predator" (2008)
- "Primal Directive" (2010)
- "Holomovement" (2012)
- "Language I: Intuition" (2014)
- "Causality" (2012)
- "Dreaming Schematics" (2012)
- "Language I: Intuition" - Dir. Corey Norman (2014)
- "Primordial Sound" - Dir. Corey Norman (2014)
- Monger, James Christopher. "The Contortionist". AllMusic. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- Falzon, Denise (July 17, 2012). "The Contortionist". Exclaim!. Retrieved April 15, 2015.
- Colwell, Matthew (July 17, 2012). "The Contortionist - Intrinsic". Alternative Press. Retrieved April 15, 2015.
- Deiterman, Corey (October 17, 2014). "Thanks But No Thanks, The Contortionist". Houston Press. Retrieved April 15, 2015.
- Colwell, Matthew (February 24, 2012). "In The Studio: The Contortionist". Alternative Press. Retrieved April 15, 2015.
- "Good Fight Music". Good Fight Music. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Hatebreed – Tickets – Marathon Music Works – Nashville, TN". Marathon Music Works. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "The Contortionist Part Ways With Vocalist & Keyboardist Jonathan Carpenter". Heavy Blog Is heavy. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "The Contortionist Enter The Studio For New Album". 20 March 2014. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "Interview: The Contortionist". Mind Equals Blown. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- Bell, Robert. "Friday To-Do: The Contortionist". Arkansas Times. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "The Contortionist Bio | The Contortionist Career". MTV. Retrieved 25 March 2013.