The Corley Conspiracy
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Corley Conspiracy is an opera by Tim Benjamin to a libretto by Sean Starke who also directed. The work premiered on 19 September 2007 in the Purcell Room at the Southbank Centre in London; the orchestral parts were played by the ensemble Radius. The opera was commissioned by the London Design Festival 2007.
|Role||Premiere cast: 21 September 2007
Conductor: John Traill
|Mike Corley||Paul Tosio|
|Grace Watson||Angela Myers|
|Alex Jones||Jonatha Webb|
|Jill Scott||Hannah Grainger-Clemson|
|James Lewis||Alan Bailey|
|Voice of the Computer||Elise Emmanuelle|
|Email Protected||Arne Muus|
|Orchestra||Alexander Sitkovetsky (violin)
Oliver Coates (cello)
Jennifer George (flute)
Charys Green (clarinet)
Huw Morgan (trumpet)
Tyler Vahldick (trombone)
Jocelyn Lightfoot (horn)
John Reid (piano)
Adrian Spillett (percussion)
|Stage manager||Arne Muus|
The performance of the work lasts for about 75 minutes.
|I||Have The British Gone Mad?||Prologue|
|II||BBC's Hidden Shame||Concerto||Prelude (Adagio)
|V||Sulpiride 200mgs||Variations||No. 1 Passacaglia
No. 2 Chaconne
|VI||Censorship||Variations||no. 3 on an Interval
No. 4 on a Chord
No. 5 on a note
|VII||The Continuing Silence||Epilogue|
Unusual for an opera, all the vocal parts are spoken, but unlike a play, the music is continuous and relates strongly to the text.
Based on a true story that unfolded on Usenet bulletin boards, this new opera is a gripping portrayal of a paranoid mind that raises unsettling questions about a society under surveillance.— from the programme notes
The text of the work is based on Mike Corley's experiences and theories, as shown in his Usenet posts and on his website.
Mike Corley is an Information technology specialist residing in the United Kingdom. He has a long history of posting Usenet messages detailing how MI5 has allegedly bugged his home, watched him via his television and is sending people to follow him around and harass him. These messages are often crossposted to many different newsgroups. His claims of being persecuted by MI5 (the Subject: line of his posts) have led to claims that he is suffering from paranoid schizophrenia. He has claimed in his posts that television personalities are often talking about him in code and are part of the MI5 conspiracy. He has been banned from posting through Google for his abuse of Usenet and has been similarly barred from most Internet service providers in England, an assertion which Corley contested in August 2012.
- The Corley Conspiracy (opera)
- Bannit, Jemima (September 2007). "The Corley Conspiracy – The Programme" (PDF). Radius Music. Retrieved 3 April 2008. with detailed background information
- Corley, Mike. "Persecuted by the Security Service (Mike Corley's web page)". Retrieved 20 July 2014.
- Iain L M Hotchkies (5 May 1996). "Corley FAQ (v0.1)". Archived from the original on 28 September 2007. Retrieved 6 January 2008.
- "Mike Corley – Conspiracy Theorist". BBC h2g2. 21 March 2002. Retrieved 21 July 2008.
- MI5Vic...@mi5.gov.uk (Mike Corley) (17 November 2007). "MI5 Persecution: Ravenscourt Park 20/3/99 (4522)". Newsgroup: alt.games.video.xbox,nctu.club.ji-ren,sfnet.urheilu.moottoriurheilu,alt.sports.college.acc,3do.bad-attitude Check
|newsgroup=value (help). Usenet: email@example.com.
- MI5Vic...@mi5.gov.uk (Mike Corley) (25 August 2007). "MI5 Persecution: Neil Fox (Nov/1998) (6190)". Newsgroup: it.salute.tumori,alt.biology,fa.netbsd.tech.net,alt.games.video.xbox,nctu.club.ji-ren Check
|newsgroup=value (help). Usenet: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "Google Groups – Profile (MI5Vic...@mi5.gov.uk)".
- "A suspicious radio/printer for Mike Corley" by Regine (25 February 2008)
- MI5.Vic...@privacy.net (25 August 2012). "Amazing Amazon. Kindle's Earnings". Newsgroup: uk.misc. Usenet: email@example.com.