The Craig School
|The Craig School|
|10 Tower Hill Road
Mountain Lakes, New Jersey 07046
|Director||Janet Cozine (Lower/Middle)
Dr. Eric M. Caparulo (HS)
|Head of school||Mr. Tad Jacks|
|Faculty||36.1 (on FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||3.9|
|Slogan||Turning Potential Into Achievement, One Student At A Time.|
|Sports||Soccer, Basketball, Lacrosse|
|Accreditation||Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Affiliation||National Association of Independent Schools
New Jersey Association of Independent Schools
The Craig School is an independent, private coeducational day school located in Mountain Lakes and Boonton, in Morris County, New Jersey, United States, serving students in second through twelfth grades.
As of the 2015-16 school year, the Lower School (grades 2-8 in Mountain Lakes) had 109 students and the High School (grades 9-12 in Boonton) had 28 students. As of the 2013-14 school year, the lower, middle, and high schools had a combined enrollment of 139 students and 36.1 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a Student–teacher ratio of 3.9. The Lower School director is Janet Cozine, the High School director is Dr. Eric Caparulo, and Tad Jacks is the Head of School.
The Craig School was founded in 1980. The school specializes in the education of children who have encountered difficulty succeeding in the traditional classroom environment. The Craig School specializes in students limited to dyslexia, auditory processing disorder and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, using a language-based curriculum. Over the years the school has promoted a solid educational program based on the most recent and effective multisensory classroom techniques, assistive technology, social skills curricula, and organizational methods. The school continues to provide a safe, nurturing learning environment with small structured classrooms, positive student-teacher interaction and strong ties to parents. The Craig High School was added in 2000. In 2013, The Craig High School moved to new shared facilities at the Boonton High School.
In September 2015, the school acquired its current Lower and Middle School facilities, and administrative building, located in Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, from The Wilson School (which is now defunct). Following the purchase, The Craig School will begin a renovation program on the Mountain Lakes facilities, including the expansion of the school's Orton Gillingham teaching wing for students with Dyslexia and related academic learning disabilities, science lab and technology teaching areas and art studio space. A new state-of-the-art occupational therapy room is also in the preliminary plan. The renovation program, which will be managed to avoid operational disruption, is expected to be completed by September 2016.
The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 2002. The Craig School is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools and New Jersey Association of Independent Schools.
The mission of The Craig School is to provide its students a strategy-based, comprehensive and challenging school experience that acknowledges their learning disabilities, builds on their aptitudes, and strengthens their self-awareness and self-esteem. The school helps parents assess their child's true potential and understand the nature of learning disabilities, and provides families an internal support network within the Craig community.
The Craig School athletic program offers students the opportunity to participate in competitive and intramural sports. Every student can sign up for any competitive sport offered for their grade as the school has a no cut policy. The importance of developing personal fitness and a healthy and positive attitude towards performance is emphasized. There is a focus on sportsmanship, perseverance and the ability to win or lose with character and dignity. The athletic program builds individual self-confidence, a sense of teamwork and discipline. The core of our program is the enjoyment of competition, teaching and improving skills and team building.
- School Data for The Craig School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed May 8, 2015.
- The Craig School, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, backed up by the Internet Archive as of February 16, 2012. Accessed May 8, 2015.
- By the Numbers The Craig School. Accessed July 8, 2015.
- Staff Directory, The Craig School. Accessed July 8, 2015.
- "Mission - The Craig School", The Craig School, July 2015. Accessed July 8, 2015.
- Welcome to The Craig School, The Craig School. Accessed July 17, 2007. "The Craig School, established in 1980, is an independent, nonprofit school serving children who have difficulty succeeding in the traditional classroom environment. We specialize in a language-based curriculum for children of average or above average ability with such disorders as dyslexia, auditory processing and attention deficit."
- "New school year, new beginnings for the Craig High School in Boonton", Neighbor News (Boonton edition), September 11, 2013. Accessed July 8, 2015. "Beginning in the 2013/2014 school year, Boonton High School (BHS) will share its hallowed halls with the Craig High School (CHS)."
- "Craig School Positions For Future With Acquisition Of Current Lower And Middle School Facilities", The Craig School, May 2015. Accessed July 8, 2015.
- School Listing, New Jersey Association of Independent Schools. Accessed June 24, 2011.
- "National Honor Society - The Craig School". craigschool.org. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- "National Art Honor Society - The Craig School". craigschool.org. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- "Activities - The Craig School", The Craig School, October 2015. Accessed October 31, 2015.
- "Ski Program - The Craig School". craigschool.org. Retrieved 2015-10-31.