The Crefeld School
The Crefeld School serves students in grades 7 through 12, its mission is to graduate self-aware, empathetic, lifelong learners, who possess an appreciation for diverse perspectives, their role in society, and their ability to act as agents of change. Located in Chestnut Hill, Crefeld provides an intentionally different college preparatory program to help students become their best selves. The Head of School is George Zeleznik.
The Crefeld School was founded as The Miquon Upper School in 1970 by Arnold Greenberg in the Germantown section of Philadelphia. The school later moved to the Chestnut Hill section of Philadelphia Greenberg, a former teacher at The Miquon School (a private progressive elementary school founded in 1932), created the new upper school partly in response to requests from many parents and former students from The Miquon School who wanted the opportunity to continue their schooling in the tradition of progressive education. Greenberg was granted permission by The Miquon School's board to include the "Miquon" name in the title of his new school, but the two schools were always entirely independent of each other. To avoid controversy, the upper school changed its name to The Crefeld School. Currently, the school enrolls 110 students in grades 7-12.
The Crefeld School is accredited by the Pennsylvania Association of Private Academic Schools (PAIS) and Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. In addition, The Crefeld School is licensed as a private academic school by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
- "Mission, Vision and Values — The Crefeld School". The Crefeld School. Retrieved 2018-11-27.
- "People - Faculty & Staff". www.crefeld.org.
- "Arnold Greenberg". EllsworthME.org. Retrieved 2007-08-10.
- "History of Miquon | The Miquon School". Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- "How are the Miquon School and Miquon Upper School related?". The Miquon School. Retrieved 2007-08-10.[dead link]
- Paispa page
- "MSA-CESS -> Member Resources -> Membership Directory". www.msa-cess.org. Retrieved 2018-11-27.
- Filmmaker from Hill thrills Crefeld School kids Archived 2007-09-26 at the Wayback Machine., ChestnutHillLocal.com, December 15, 2005
- Eugene Byrd Biography, TV.com, accessed June 4, 2012