The Cross of Changes
|The Cross of Changes|
|Studio album by|
|Released||6 December 1993|
|Recorded||1993 at A.R.T. Studios, Ibiza, Spain|
|Singles from The Cross of Changes|
The Cross of Changes is the second studio album by the German musical project Enigma, headed by Romanian-German musician and producer Michael Cretu, released on 6 December 1993 by Virgin Records internationally and Charisma Records in the United States. Following the unexpected worldwide commercial success of the first Enigma album, MCMXC a.D. (1990), Cretu began to write and record music for a new album at A.R.T. Studios, his home studio in Ibiza, Spain. Cretu samples songs from several artists, including Vangelis and U2.
The Cross of Changes was a commercial success. It became Enigma's second consecutive number one album in the United Kingdom and peaked at number nine on the Billboard 200 in the United States, where it sold over two million copies. In 1994, four singles were released: "Return to Innocence", "The Eyes of Truth", "Age of Loneliness (Carly's Song)", originally written especially for the film Sliver, and "Out from the Deep". A special limited edition was released in 1994.
1993 original edition
|1.||"Second Chapter"||Curly M.C.||2:16|
|2.||"The Eyes of Truth"||Curly||7:13|
|3.||"Return to Innocence"||Curly, Kuo Ying-nan, Kuo Hsiu-chu||4:17|
|4.||"I Love You ... I'll Kill You"||Curly, David Fairstein||8:51|
|6.||"The Dream of the Dolphin"||Curly, Fairstein||2:47|
|7.||"Age of Loneliness (Carly's Song)"||Curly||5:22|
|8.||"Out from the Deep"||Curly, Morsman, Pierlejewski||4:53|
|9.||"The Cross of Changes"||Curly||2:23|
1994 special limited edition
Released on 21 November 1994 on a 24-carat gold-plated disc with three additional remixes.
All tracks written by Curly M.C..
|10.||"Return to Innocence" (Long & Alive Version)||7:07|
|11.||"Age of Loneliness" (Enigmatic Club Mix)||6:23|
|12.||"The Eyes of Truth" (The Götterdämmerung Mix)||7:18|
- 1993 – "Return to Innocence" (Virgin Schallplatten GmbH)
- 1994 – "The Eyes of Truth" (Virgin Records)
- 1994 – "Age of Loneliness" (Virgin Records)
- 1994 – "Out from the Deep" (Virgin Records)
- "The Eyes of Truth" contains samples of "Habebe" and "A Survivor's Tale" by Anne Dudley and Jaz Coleman from the album Songs from the Victorious City. Vocal sample (Mongolian chant) taken from "Alsyn Gazryn Zereglee" as performed by Adilbish Nergui. Chorus taken from "Götterdämmerung" (The Twilight of the Gods) composed by Richard Wagner. NASA retransmissions sampled from "Mare Tranquillitatis", performed by Vangelis. Also contains a sample of "Ultra Violet (Light My Way)" performed by U2.
- "Return to Innocence" contains samples of "Jubilant Drinking Song" performed by Kuo Ying-nan and Kuo Hsiu-chu. Also contains samples of "Pinta. Nina Santa Maria (Into Eternity)" performed by Vangelis.
- "Silent Warrior" contains samples of "The Ghost Dance", a Native American war chant.
- "Age of Loneliness" contains a sample of "Habebe" by Anne Dudley and Jaz Coleman from the album Songs from the Victorious City. Vocal sample (Mongolian chant) taken from "Tosonguyn Oroygoor", performed by Dechinzundui Nadmid.
- "Out from the Deep" contains samples of "The Calling" performed by A Positive Life and from the album Songs from the Victorious City by Anne Dudley and Jaz Coleman.
- "I Love You ... I'll Kill You" contains samples from "Battle of Evermore" by Led Zeppelin from the album Led Zeppelin IV singing "bring it back". The remastered version of the song however no longer has the samples as Michael Cretu is heard singing the words himself.
- Michael Cretu (credited as "Curly M.C.") – music, lyrics, vocals, production, instruments, programming, arrangements, engineering
- Sandra Cretu – vocals, voices
- Peter Cornelius – guitar
- Jens Gad – guitar
- Andreas Harde (credited as "Angel X") – vocals
- Louisa Stanley – voices
- Fabrice Cuitad (credited as David Fairstein) – lyrics
- Produced and engineered by Michael Cretu
- Recorded at A.R.T. Studios, Ibiza/Spain
- All songs published by Enigma Songs, except track 4 (Enigma Songs-Wanho Music) and track 7 (Ensign Music/Data Alpha-Wanho)
Charts and certifications
|Australia (ARIA)||2× Platinum||140,000^|
|Austria (IFPI Austria)||Gold||25,000*|
|Canada (Music Canada)||2× Platinum||200,000^|
|Norway (IFPI Norway)||Platinum||50,000*|
|Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)||Platinum||50,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||2× Platinum||600,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||2,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
This section needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Billboard (North America)
|1994||"Age of Loneliness"||Hot Dance Music / Club Play||30|
|"Return to Innocence"||Modern Rock Tracks||2||US: Gold|
|Rhythmic Top 40||15|
|The Billboard Hot 100||4|
|Top 40 Mainstream||5|
- The Cross of Changes at AllMusic
- "The Cross of Changes Review | Music Reviews and News | EW.com". ew.com. 18 February 1994. Retrieved 12 August 2011.
- List of samples and proper credits, as found at discogs
- Ryan, Gavin (2011). Australia's Music Charts 1988–2010. Mt. Martha, VIC, Australia: Moonlight Publishing.
- "Austrian album certifications – Enigma – Cross Of Changes" (in German). IFPI Austria. Enter Enigma in the field Interpret. Enter Cross Of Changes in the field Titel. Select album in the field Format. Click Suchen.
- "Canadian album certifications – Enigma – The Cross of Chances". Music Canada.
- "Les Albums Or". infodisc.fr. SNEP. Archived from the original on 2011-10-18. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- "French album certifications – Enigma – The Cross of Changes" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Enigma; 'The Cross of Changes')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Dutch album certifications – Enigma – The Cross of Changes" (in Dutch). Nederlandse Vereniging van Producenten en Importeurs van beeld- en geluidsdragers. Enter The Cross of Changes in the "Artiest of titel" box.
- "Norwegian album certifications – Enigma – The Cross of Changes" (in Norwegian). IFPI Norway.
- "Guld- och Platinacertifikat − År 1987−1998" (PDF) (in Swedish). IFPI Sweden.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Enigma; 'The Cross of Changes')". IFPI Switzerland. Hung Medien.
- "British album certifications – Enigma – The Cross of Changes". British Phonographic Industry. Select albums in the Format field. Select Platinum in the Certification field. Type The Cross of Changes in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American album certifications – Enigma – Cross of Changes". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.
- "IFPI Platinum Europe Awards – 1996". International Federation of the Phonographic Industry.
- "Enigma - Discography, biography, music, MP3s, members, pictures & videos at SoundUnwound". soundunwound.com. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- "American single certifications – Enigma – Return to Innocence". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.