The Cure The Top World Tour
|Tour by The Cure|
|Associated album||The Top|
|Start date||31 January 1984|
|End date||17 November 1984|
|The Cure concert chronology|
In April 1984, The Cure embark on the Top World Tour following the success of The Caterpillar. Smith, Tolhurst and Anderson bring Phil Thornalley and Porl Thompson on board during the tour. In January to February 1984, The Cure featuring Norman Fisher-Jones (bassist) performed at two venues (Munich & Zurich) prior to the release of the album or single.
- From November 1982, Smith was a member of Siouxsie and the Banshees, but after the release of Hyæna, Smith left the group in May 1984.
- During the Japanese leg, Smith fired Anderson from the band after destroying a hotel room.
- Vince Ely temporarily replaced Anderson for 11 concerts (22 October 1984 – 4 November 1984).
- On 7 November 1984, Vince Ely left the band and Boris Williams remained the as The Cure's drummer from 1984–1994.
- On 22 October 1984, The Cure released a live album Concert: The Cure Live.
- The "Concert" album was recorded on 5 May, Oxford and 9–10 May, London.
- In February 1985, The Cure released a VHS called "The Cure Live in Japan" which contained backstage and performance footage of the concert on 17 October 1984 at Nakano Sun Plaza, Tokyo, Japan.
- There is a known video recording of the concert on 25 August 1984 at the Barrowland Ballroom, Glasgow, Scotland.
- Norman Fisher-Jones was The Cure's temporary bassist (January to February 1984) when Thornalley was unavailable.
- Shortly after the tour, Phil Thornalley left the band and was replaced by former bassist Simon Gallup.
- The setlist has a few changes depending on the concert.
|Europe (Early Tour)|
|30 January 1984||Munich||Germany||Alabamahalle|
|1 February 1984||Zürich||Switzerland||Volkshaus|
|25 April 1984||Newcastle||England||City Hall|
|26 April 1984||Edinburgh||Scotland||Edinburgh Playhouse|
|27 April 1984||Glasgow||The Apollo|
|29 April 1984||Birmingham||England||Odeon Theatre|
|30 April 1984||Nottingham||Royal Concert Hall|
|1 May 1984||Liverpool||Royal Court Theatre|
|2 May 1984||Manchester||Apollo Theatre|
|4 May 1984||Bristol||Colston Hall|
|5 May 1984||Oxford||The Apollo|
|6 May 1984||Portsmouth||Portsmouth Guildhall|
|8 May 1984||London||Hammersmith Odeon|
|9 May 1984|
|10 May 1984|
|13 May 1984||Brussels||Belgium||Ancienne Belgique|
|14 May 1984||Lille||France||Palais des Sports|
|15 May 1984||Paris||Le Zénith|
|16 May 1984||Lyon||Palais d'Hiver|
|17 May 1984||Marseille||Marseille Stadium|
|18 May 1984||Nice||Théâtre de verdure|
|20 May 1984||Bologna||Italy||Teatro Tenda|
|21 May 1984||Milan||Teatro Tenda Lampugnano|
|22 May 1984||Zürich||Switzerland||Volkshaus|
|24 May 1984||Munich||Germany||Kronebau|
|25 May 1984||Düsseldorf||Philipshalle|
|26 May 1984||Hamburg||Musikhalle|
|27 May 1984||West Berlin||Metropol|
|30 May 1984||'s-Hertogenbosch||Netherlands||De Maaspoort|
|31 May 1984||Utrecht||Muziekcentrum Vredenburg (two shows; 16:30 and 22:00)|
|25 August 1984||Glasgow||Scotland||Barrowland Ballroom|
|30 August 1984||Amsterdam||Netherlands||Jaap Edenhal|
|1 September 1984||Alsdorf||Germany||Freizeitpark|
|2 September 1984||Marl||JahnStadion|
|30 September 1984||Wellington||New Zealand||St. James Theatre|
|2 October 1984||Auckland||Logan Campbell Centre|
|4 October 1984||Brisbane||Australia||Festival Hall|
|5 October 1984||Gold Coast||Bombay Rock|
|6 October 1984|
|7 October 1984||Newcastle||Workers Club|
|9 October 1984||Melbourne||Palais Theatre|
|10 October 1984|
|11 October 1984||Sydney||Hordern Pavilion|
|12 October 1984|
|15 October 1984||Osaka||Japan||Sankei Hall|
|16 October 1984||Tokyo||Nakano Sun Plaza Hall|
|17 October 1984|
|22 October 1984||Vancouver||Canada||Commodore Ballroom|
|23 October 1984||Seattle||United States of America||Paramount Theatre|
|24 October 1984||San Francisco||Kabuki Nightclub|
|25 October 1984|
|26 October 1984||Los Angeles||Hollywood Palladium|
|27 October 1984||Irvine||Crawford Hall|
|29 October 1984||Salt Lake City||Fairgrounds Coliseum|
|31 October 1984||Denver||Rainbow Music Hall|
|2 November 1984||Austin||Opera House|
|3 November 1984||Dallas||Arcadia Theater|
|4 November 1984||Houston||Numbers|
|7 November 1984||Minneapolis||First Avenue|
|9 November 1984||Chicago||Bismarck Theatre|
|10 November 1984||Ann Arbor||Michigan Theater|
|11 November 1984||Buffalo||Buffalo State College, Student Union Social Hall|
|12 November 1984||Toronto||Canada||The Concert Hall|
|13 November 1984||Montréal||Le Spectrum de Montréal|
|14 November 1984||Boston||United States of America||Orpheum Theatre|
|16 November 1984||Washington||Ontario Theater|
|17 November 1984||New York City||Beacon Theatre|
Robert Smith: vocals, guitar, violin, recorder, harmonica
Porl Thompson: guitar, keyboards, saxophone
Lol Tolhurst: keyboards
Phil Thornalley: bass
Norman Fisher-Jones: bass
Andy Anderson: drums
Vince Ely: drums
Boris Williams: drums