The Daily Progress
|Publisher||Robert H. Jiranek|
|Headquarters||685 Rio Road W.
Charlottesville, Va. 22901
21,849 (average daily)
The Daily Progress is the sole daily newspaper in the vicinity of Charlottesville, Virginia. It has been published daily since September 14, 1892. The paper was founded by James Hubert Lindsay and his brother Frank Lindsay. The Progress was initially published six days a week; the first Sunday edition was printed in September 1968. Lindsay's family owned the paper for 78 years. On November 30, 1970, the family announced a sale to the Worrell Newspaper group, which took over on January 1, 1971.
T. Eugene Worrell, of Bristol, Virginia, owned about two dozen rural weekly newspapers and a few dailies, all with less circulation than the Daily Progress. The Progress immediately became the group's flagship paper, and Worrell moved his newspaper group headquarters to Charlottesville.
Faced with major newspaper industry change, Worrell sold his newspaper properties to Richmond-based Media General as a part of a larger $230M deal in 1995.
In the 21st century, Media General sold the Progress' printing press, and reorganized its operations to print multiple newspapers from other printing plants it controlled.
On May 17, 2012 Media General, Inc. announced signed agreements with Berkshire Hathaway, Inc., whereby a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, BH Media Group, will purchase newspapers owned by Media General, including the Progress.
- "The Daily Progress appoints Robert Jiranek publisher". The Daily Progress. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Audit Bureau of Circulation". Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- Maurer, David (29 Jan 2012). "Yesteryears: James H. Lindsay". The Daily Progress. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- Klein, Kip (1 December 1971). "Daily Progress Sells Out to Bristol Newspaper Chain". The Cavalier Daily. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- "Media General Announces Agreements with Berkshire Hathaway for Purchase of Newspapers and New Financing". Press release. Media General. May 17, 2012.
- staff report (May 17, 2012). "Berkshire Hathaway will purchase Media General newspapers, including Daily Progress".
- Daily Progress 75th Anniversary Edition; historical notes of Rey Barry, a contemporary reporter and columnist.
|This article about a Virginia newspaper is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|