The Damned: Don't You Wish That We Were Dead
|The Damned: Don't You Wish That We Were Dead|
|Directed by||Wes Orshoski|
|Produced by||Wes Orshoski|
|Written by||Wes Orshoski|
|Music by||The Damned|
|Edited by||Wes Orshoski|
Three Count Films
The film is about the British rock group The Damned and is a mix of archival, interview and contemporary footage of the group and other musicians and fans. The film discusses the rivalry between members Captain Sensible and Rat Scabies with their disagreement over unpaid royalties.
The film was directed by Wes Orshoski, who was also the films producer, writer, cinematographer and editor. It was the filmmakers follow-up to his previous documentary Lemmy. The Damned provided the music for the film. The film was shot over a three-year period.
The film premiered at the SXSW Film Festival on March 19, 2015. At the screening, The Damned's lead guitarist Captain Sensible shouted commentary in the auditorium whenever a moment or a former Damned member he did not like appeared in the film. Damned frontman Dave Vanian did not attend the premiere.
The film received its premier in the United Kingdom on June 3 at the Prince Charles Cinema. Rat Scabies and Brian James were present for the London premiere of the film, where Scabies stated that he hopes the film will bring closure between himself and Captain Sensible.
Variety gave the film a positive review, stating that even an audience unfamiliar with the group may find sufficient entertainment value in the documentary, noting "the Damned’s unpredictability only endeared them further to a diehard fan base, and it makes this documentary all the more entertaining". The Hollywood Reporter opined that the director "struggles to impose dramatic shape on a sprawling subject, but at least he finds an emotional hook in the decades-old rift between Sensible and Scabies"
- Harvey, Dennis (March 25, 2015). "Film Review: 'The Damned: Don't You Wish That We Were Dead'". Variety. Retrieved July 14, 2015.
- "The Damned: Don't You Wish That We Were Dead". SXSW Film Festival. Archived from the original on March 18, 2015. Retrieved July 14, 2015.
- Dalton, Stephen (June 8, 2015). "'The Damned: Don't You Wish That We Were Dead': Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 14, 2015.
- Cooper, Leonie (19 March 2015). "The Damned attend world premiere of biographical documentary at SXSW". NME. Archived from the original on 11 July 2015. Retrieved July 14, 2015.
- Bonner, Michael (May 28, 2015). "The Damned documentary gets release date". Uncut. Archived from the original on July 14, 2015. Retrieved July 14, 2015.