The Dark Heart of Time
|Author||Philip José Farmer|
|Original title||Tarzan's Greatest Secret|
|Media type||Print (paperback)|
|Preceded by||Tarzan: The Epic Adventures (1996)|
|Followed by||The Adventures of Tarzan (2006)|
The Dark Heart of Time: a Tarzan novel is a novel by American writer Philip José Farmer, authorized by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc. Published in 1999, the book was first announced under the title Tarzan's Greatest Secret in 1997.
The novel's antagonist is James D. Stonecraft, an American oil magnate who believes that Tarzan knows the secret of immortality. Stonecraft hires hunters to track and capture Tarzan for the secret, leading to a conflicts at the "City Built by God" and the "Crystal Tree of Time". Through all of the adventure Tarzan is focused on escaping his pursuers so that he may return to his search for his wife.
Other Tarzan stories by Farmer
Before The Dark Heart of Time, Philip José Farmer wrote a number of books based to some extent on Tarzan.
- Time's Last Gift (1972) being a time travel story, the novel is both an unauthorized sequel to the entire Tarzan series, and a prequel to the authorized Khokarsa series.
- Tarzan Alive: A Definitive Biography of Lord Greystoke (1972/2006)
- The Adventure of the Peerless Peer (1974) an unauthorized work in which Tarzan meets Sherlock Holmes.
- Khokarsa series, novels authorized by ERB, Inc. set in Tarzan's Africa 10,000 years ago.
- The Nine series, an alternative interpretation of the Tarzan mythos, with him and half-brother Doc Savage battling a world-wide conspiracy headed by a group known as The Nine.
- Nuninga, Zacharias L.A. (16 April 2010). "Publication History". Philip José Farmer International Bibliography.
- "Edgar Rice Burroughs". Spirit of America Bookstore. July 24, 2010.
- Hermes, Doc (26 October 2002). "The Dark Heart of Time". ERBzine. 0981.
- Adams, David A. (2006). "The Dark Heart of Time". Edgar Rice Burroughs Summary Project.
- Philip José Farmer bibliography#Lord Grandrith .26 Doc Caliban
Tarzan: The Epic Adventures
The Dark Heart of Time
The Adventures of Tarzan
|This article about a 1990s novel is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See guidelines for writing about novels. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.