The Dark Knight (video game)
|The Dark Knight|
|Distributor(s)||Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment|
The Dark Knight is a cancelled action video game loosely based on the film of the same name. The game was unofficially announced in the summer of 2007 to be developed by Pandemic Studios as an open world Batman game.
The game was confirmed, albeit unofficially, on July 17, 2008 by actor Gary Oldman during an interview with G4's Kristin Adams. In his interview on GameTrailers, Oldman said he knew an awful lot of effort had gone into getting Batman's gliding abilities to feel suitably smooth and fluid for The Dark Knight game. Oldman, who reprised his role as Lt. Jim Gordon, did not name a developer in the interview but anonymous sources reported that The Dark Knight was a secret project of Pandemic Studios and EA.
Despite prior speculation, no further announcements were made regarding production of the game, even upon the DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of the films on December 9, 2008 in the United States. According to a Newsweek article, the lack of a game at the same time of the movie's release may have cost an estimated $101 million in missed revenue. EA and Pandemic Studios had announced that the game would come out on the PlayStation 3. Pandemic Brisbane, who were responsible for developing this game, has since been shut down and the project cancelled. In 2009, Warner Bros. would instead publish Batman: Arkham Asylum with Rocksteady Studios as the developer, which would start the Batman: Arkham series.
- Plunkett, Luke (January 15, 2009). "Why Pandemic's Batman Game Was Canned, And How It Killed Pandemic AU". Kotaku. Retrieved 2009-01-16.
- "G4 confirms Dark Knight Game".
- Lang, Derrick J. (2008-08-07). "'Dark Knight' reigns not in video game". AP. Newsweek. Archived from the original on August 21, 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-22.
- Matt Casamassina. "Rumor: Pandemic to Develop New Batman Game".
- Andy Chalk. "Screwing Up Batman".
|This DC Comics–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This action game–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|