The Dark Spire
|The Dark Spire|
North American box art
|Genre(s)||Role-playing video game|
The Dark Spire, known as Genmu no Tō to Tsurugi no Okite (幻霧ノ塔ト剣ノ掟, The Tower of Mist and the Law of the Sword) in Japan, is a role-playing game developed by Success for the Nintendo DS. It was released on May 22, 2008 in Japan and April 14, 2009 in North America which was published by Atlus.
The gameplay centers on exploring the namesake dungeon known as the Dark Spire while improving the skills and stats of your characters by gaining experience. An alignment system and a class system are included in The Dark Spire. Your alignment affects who can join your party, what skills can be learned by party members of different classes, and even equipment choices. The Spire is explored in a first-person perspective, and many classical RPG elements are included, such as random encounters and equipment. The player is tasked to find and defeat the Archmage Tyrhung at the top of the Dark Spire and to retrieve a necklace from him.
The Dark Spire is a throwback to old first-person dungeon crawler RPGs, such as The Bard's Tale or Wizardry. As a tribute, the game can be set in a mode which renders graphics and sound/music which could have been produced in a game dating to the late 1980s or early 1990s. The game allows you to play as one of four races - human, dwarf, elf or halfling - each with unique stats and standard alignment.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (August 2015)
- Willis, Phillip. "The Dark Spire - Staff Review". RPGamer. Retrieved October 6, 2015.
- Bozon, Mark (April 16, 2009). "The Dark Spire Review". IGN.
- Fletcher, JC (December 19, 2008). "Atlus brings The Dark Spire to light". Engadget (Joystiq). Retrieved October 6, 2015.
- Bedigian, Louis (May 5, 2009). "The Dark Spire - NDS - Review". GameZone. Archived from the original on May 27, 2009. Retrieved October 6, 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "The Dark Spire for DS Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved November 10, 2015.
- Parish, Jeremy (April 24, 2009). "The Dark Spire Review". 1UP.com. Retrieved November 10, 2015.
- Bennett, Colette (April 14, 2009). "Destructoid review: The Dark Spire". Destructoid. Retrieved November 10, 2015.
- Biessener, Adam (May 2009). "The Dark Spire: Greetings From 1981". Game Informer (193): 90. Retrieved November 10, 2015.
- Mirkovich, Sean (May 2009). "The Dark Spire". GamePro: 80. Archived from the original on April 18, 2009. Retrieved November 10, 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "The Dark Spire". Nintendo Power. 241: 91. May 2009.
- Balicki, Lukasz (June 12, 2009). "The Dark Spire". Nintendo World Report. Retrieved November 10, 2015.