The Day (Babyface album)
|Studio album by Babyface|
|Released||October 29, 1996|
|Studio||Brandon's Way Recording
The Record Plant
Ocean Way Recording
Capitol Recording Studios
The TracKen Place
(Beverly Hills, California)
Larrabee Sound Studios
(Los Angeles, California)
(Manhattan, New York)
Barking Doctor Recording
(Mount Kisco, New York)
|Producer||Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds|
|Entertainment Weekly||A− |
|Los Angeles Times|||
|The New York Times||(Mixed) |
|The Village Voice||A− |
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
The Day is the fourth studio album by R&B artist, Babyface. It was produced by the artist himself, and includes a handful of guest artist like Mariah Carey, Stevie Wonder, Kenny G, LL Cool J, Eric Clapton, and a reunion of hit 70s-80s trio Shalamar.
At the 40th Grammy Awards in 1997 this album received four nominations including Album of the Year (losing to Bob Dylan's Time Out of Mind) Best R&B Album (losing to Erykah Badu's Baduizm) and Best Male Pop Vocal Performance for the second single (and biggest hit) "Every Time I Close My Eyes" (losing to Elton John's "Candle in the Wind"). Also the third single, a collaboration with Stevie Wonder titled "How Come, How Long" received a nod for Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals. The singles "This is for the Lover in You" and "Every Time I Close My Eyes" both reached No. 6 on the Billboard Hot 100.
|1.||"Every Time I Close My Eyes" (featuring Mariah Carey with Kenny G)||Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds||4:56|
|2.||"Talk to Me" (featuring Eric Clapton)||Edmonds||4:54|
|3.||"I Said I Love You"||Edmonds||4:05|
|4.||"When Your Body Gets Weak"||Edmonds||5:40|
|5.||"Simple Days"||Edmonds, Robbie Nevil, Emanuel Officer, Bradley Spalter||4:31|
|6.||"All Day Thinkin'"||Edmonds||4:23|
|7.||"Seven Seas"||Edmonds, Marc Nelson||4:02|
|8.||"The Day (That You Gave Me a Son)"||Edmonds||4:29|
|9.||"How Come, How Long" (featuring Stevie Wonder)||Edmonds, Stevie Wonder||5:15|
|10.||"This Is for the Lover in You" (featuring LL Cool J, Howard Hewett, Jody Watley, and Jeffrey Daniels)||Howard Hewett, Dana Meyers||5:26|
|Bonus tracks (2001 reissue)|
|11.||"Every Time I Close My Eyes" (Timbaland Remix)||Edmonds||4:50|
|12.||"Every Time I Close My Eyes" (Urban Soul Basement Mix)||Edmonds||4:40|
|13.||"This Is for the Lover in You" (Honey Lookin' Laced Extended Remix)||Hewett, Meyers||5:26|
- Produced by: Babyface (except "All Day Thinkin'" co-produced by Gerald Baillergeau; "Simple Days" co-produced by Bradley; and "This Is For The Lover In You" co-produced by LL Cool J, Trackmasters, Bryce Wilson)
- Engineered by Brad Gilderman and Thom Russo
- Mixed by Jon Gass, Mick Guzauski and Bob Brockmann
- Strings on "The Day" engineered by Humberto Gatica
- Background vocals on "Every Time I Close My Eyes" engineered by Mike Scott
- Recorded at The Tracken Place, Beverly Hills, CA and The Record Plant, Hollywood, CA.
- Additional recording at Larrabee Sound Studios, Los Angeles, CA, Ocean Way Recordings, Hollywood, CA, Capitol Recording Studios, Hollywood CA and Quad Studios, New York, NY.
- Mixed at Brandon's Way Recording, Hollywood CA, The Record Plant, Hollywood, CA, Conway Recording, Hollywood, CA and Barking Doctor Recording, Mt. Kisco, NY.
- Mastered by Eddy Schreyer at Oasis Mastering
- MIDI Programmer: Randy Walker
- Production coordinator: Ivy Skoff
- Art direction: Bennet/Novak and company
- Design: Vincent Oto
- Booklet and Spike Photography: Anton Corbijn
- Cover photography: Beisig and Taylor
- Styling: Bernard C. Jacobs
- Grooming: Melvonne
- Hair: Tim Carter
- The Day at AllMusic
- Browne, David (November 1, 1996). "MUSIC REVIEW > The Day > Kenneth Babyface Edmonds". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- Johnson, Connie (October 20, 1996). "Record Rack: Why Can't All Men Be Like Babyface?". Latimes.com. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- Parales, John (November 24, 1996). "Silky Crooners Who Can Rap, Rest Assured". nytimes.com. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- Christgau, Robert (July 22, 1997). "Consumer Guide". The Village Voice. New York. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "The New Rolling Stone Album Guide". google.com. Retrieved February 18, 2015.
- "Rock On The Net: Grammy Awards: Album of the Year". rockonthenet.com. Retrieved February 18, 2015.
- "Rock On The Net: Grammy Awards: Best R& Album". rockonthenet.com. Retrieved February 18, 2015.
- "Rock On The Net: Grammy Awards: Best Pop Vocal Performance - Male". rockonthenet.com. Retrieved February 18, 2015.
- "Babyface". billboard.com. Retrieved February 18, 2015.
- "RIAA – Searchable Database: Babyface". Retrieved June 27, 2013.
- "australian-charts.com Babyface – The Day". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "Top Albums/CDs - Volume 64, No. 13" (PHP). RPM. November 11, 1996. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "dutchcharts.nl Babyface – The Day" (ASP). Hung Medien (in Dutch). MegaCharts. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "lescharts.com Babyface – The Day" (ASP). lescharts.com (in French). SNEP. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "Album Search: Babyface – The Day" (ASP) (in German). Media Control. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- "デイ／ベイビーフェイス-リリース-ORICON STYLE-ミュージック" [Highest position and charting weeks for The Day by Babyface]. oricon.co.jp (in Japanese). Original Confidence. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "charts.org.nz Babyface – The Day" (ASP). Hung Medien. Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "Chart Stats Babyface – The Day". chartstats.com. Archived from the original on August 23, 2011. Retrieved August 23, 2011.
- "allmusic ((( The Day > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums )))". allmusic.com. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "ARIA Charts - End of Year Charts - Top 100 Albums 1997". aria.com.au. Australian Recording Industry Association. Archived from the original on October 4, 2011. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "Jaaroverzichten – Album 1997" (in Dutch). Archived from the original on March 12, 2014. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "Billboard.BIZ - Year-end Charts - Billboard 200 - 1997". billboard.biz. Retrieved February 16, 2012.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 1997 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved March 2, 2014.
- "Canadian album certifications – Babyface – The Day". Music Canada. Retrieved June 1, 2012.
- "RIAJ > The Record > March 1997 > Certified Awards (January 1997)" (PDF). Recording Industry Association of Japan (in Japanese). Archived from the original (PDF) on March 6, 2014. Retrieved January 1, 2014.
- "British album certifications – Babyface – The Day". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved March 2, 2014. Enter The Day in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Silver in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American album certifications – Babyface – The Day". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved March 1, 2014. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH