The Day You Went Away
|"The Day You Went Away"|
|Single by Wendy Matthews|
|from the album Lily|
|Released||31 August 1992|
|Recorded||Rhinoceros Studios, Sydney|
|Songwriter(s)||Guy Batson, Johnny Male|
|Wendy Matthews singles chronology|
"The Day You Went Away" is the first single released by Australian recording artist Wendy Matthews from her second solo studio album, Lily, originally recorded and released by Soul Family Sensation in 1992. The single was released 31 August 1992 on the rooART label and debuted on the Australian ARIA Singles Chart at No. 43 in September, before peaking at No. 2 in December 1992. This is Matthews' highest charting single on the Australian chart. In the United Kingdom and Europe, the song was released on RooART in 1993 but was not a hit. Matthews subsequently included the song on her 1999 Greatest Hits album, Stepping Stones and her 2007 compilation album, The Essential Wendy Matthews.
"The Day You Went Away" is performed in a slow 4/4 time with the range of E4 - C#6.
|1.||"The Day You Went Away"||G. Batson, J. Male||4:44|
|2.||"I Don't Want to Be with Nobody but You" (recorded live Melbourne, May 1991)||E. Floyd||6:09|
|3.||"Won't Let Me Be (Georgia's Song)" (recorded live Melbourne, May 1991)||A. Duffield, J. Valentine, W. Matthews||5:32|
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result|
|1993||"The Day You Went Away"||Single of the Year||Won|
|1993||"The Day You Went Away"||Highest Selling Single of the Year||Won|
Sales and certifications
^shipments figures based on certification alone
In popular culture
The single was played regularly in the TV series E Street in 1992 and was also used prominently in a promo for the series when it aired on Sky One in the UK from 1992 to 1995. It was also featured in Neighbours in 2019, performed by Bonnie Anderson.
- "1991 ARIA Award Winners". ARIA. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "'The Day You Went Away' at APRA search engine". Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA). Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- ""I Don't Want To Be With Nobody But You" at APRA search engine". Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA). Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- "'Won't Let Me Be' at APRA search engine". Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA). Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- "Australian-charts.com – Wendy Matthews – The Day You Went Away". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved 21 December 2018.
- "ARIA Charts - End Of Year Charts - Top 50 Singles 1992". ARIA. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- "ARIA Accreditations (1987-2010)". Australian Fun Countdowns. Retrieved 4 August 2015.