The Dead Sleep Easy
|The Dead Sleep Easy|
|Directed by||Lee Demarbre|
|Produced by||Robert Menzies|
|Written by||Ian Driscoll|
|Music by||Michael Dubué|
|Distributed by||Odessa Filmworks
The Dead Sleep Easy is a 2007 Canadian drama film, a co-production of Odessa Filmworks and Zed Filmworks produced on location in Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico. Its tagline is "When you're this far south, sometimes it's better to be dead than alive."
The story concerns a one-time Mexican wrestler known only as The Champ (Ian Hodgkinson) who becomes employed by a Mexican organised crime gang after he kills an opponent whose uncle is a mob leader. After witnessing a massacre of illegally smuggled migrants into the United States, The Champ decides to seek redress for this crime.
- Ian Hodgkinson - The Champ
- Dave Courtney - Tlaloc
- Ana Sidel - Maya
- Martin Kove - Bob DePugh
- Phil Caracas - Carlito
- Alex Lora
- Aaron Katz - Minuteman
- Talia Russo - Bunny
- Pedro Fendez - Hector
Distribution and release
The film has had numerous special screenings:
- 22 September 2007: Calgary, Calgary International Film Festival
- 8 February 2008: Victoria (British Columbia) Film Festival
- 15 February 2008: Toronto
- 22 February 2008: Ottawa
- 13 March 2008: Montreal
- 15 March 2008: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Backseat Film Festival
- 20 March 2008: Dawson City, Yukon, International Short Film Festival
- 27 March, 28 March 2008: Hollywood, California, Ricardo Montalbán Theatre
The film was given a DVD release on 5 March 2009 through Anchor Bay Canada.
- Warren, T.S. (14 February 2008). "Pulp fiction". Ottawa XPress. Retrieved 2008-02-16.
- Calgary International Film Festival: The Dead Sleep Easy Archived 26 May 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- Victoria Film Festival 2008: The Dead Sleep Easy Archived 14 February 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- Zed Filmworks: Toronto showing Archived 8 July 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- Odessa Filmworks news
- Backseat Film Festival: The Dead Sleep Easy[permanent dead link]
- Dawson City International Short Film Festival: The Dead Sleep Easy
- Ricardo Montalban Theatre: The Dead Sleep Easy
- "Ana Sidel" official Ana Sidel site
- The Dead Sleep Easy official site
- Zed Filmworks: The Dead Sleep Easy profile
- The Dead Sleep Easy at the Internet Movie Database
- Oliver, Greg (14 February 2008). "Vampiro shoots up the screen in The Dead Sleep Easy". Slam!/Quebecor Media. Retrieved 2008-02-16.
- Cole, Stephen (15 February 2008). "Pretty good, as bad movies go". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2008-02-16.
- Stone, Laura (15 February 2008). "Wrestling with change". Ottawa Citizen. Retrieved 2008-02-16.
- Rue Morgue Radio: Lee Demarbre interview regarding The Dead Sleep Easy 8 February 2008
- Anderson, Jason (13 February 2008). "Dead reckoning". Eye Weekly. Retrieved 2008-02-18.
- Knight, Chris (15 February 2008). "If it wasn't for NAFTA, would we even have Mexican-Canadian wrestling cinema?". National Post. Retrieved 2008-02-18.[dead link]
- Interview with director Lee DeMarbre
|This article related to a Canadian film of the 2000s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|