The Death of You and Me
|"The Death of You and Me"|
|Single by Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds|
|from the album Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds|
|B-side||"The Good Rebel"|
|Released||21 August 2011|
|Format||CD single, 7" vinyl, digital download|
|Genre||Rock, baroque pop|
|Producer(s)||Noel Gallagher, Dave Sardy|
|Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds singles chronology|
"The Death of You and Me" is a song and debut single by the English rock band Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. The song was written by Noel Gallagher as his first solo effort, and produced by Gallagher and Dave Sardy. It was released on 21 August 2011 by Sour Mash Records as the debut single and lead single from the band's eponymous debut album (2011). On 28 August 2011, the song debuted at number fifteen on the UK Singles Chart.
Rumours that "The Death of You and Me" was the name of Gallagher's first solo single began to surface in June 2011. It was confirmed the following month that the song was to be released as the musician's first solo single on 21 August 2011, through Gallagher's own label Sour Mash Records with B-side "The Good Rebel". When asked at a press conference whether the meaning of the song was related to the relationship between himself and former bandmate and brother Liam, Gallagher replied that it was based on the saying "If we don't leave this place, it'll be the death of you and me", and that it was "a bit more romantic than that [his relationship with his brother]" and is "a romantic song about ... people escaping the surroundings they're in ... and having a jolly good time and living happily ever after".
Filmed in Los Angeles, California, the music video for "The Death of You and Me" starts at a cafe and a waitress serving customers including Gallagher before taking a break. She then goes outside and prepares to dive backwards into a swimming pool but is pushed in by Gallagher. She then gets out of the pool and walks through the cafe and out the front to see a band and a horse-drawn wagon, which appeared throughout the video, stopping outside the cafe. The wagon's door then opens and the waitress goes inside before the door slams shut. The video ends with the words To Be Continued (The 'story' then continues in the 2nd single from the album, AKA... What a Life!. The video was made available to viewers in the United Kingdom on 25 July 2011. It also shows that Noel Gallagher is left-handed despite playing the guitar right-handed.
The waitress is played by actress Devon Ogden. Directed and produced by Mike Bruce, with producers Blake West and Camille LaBry of United Film House.
All songs written and composed by Noel Gallagher.
|CD single, 7" vinyl|
|1.||"The Death of You and Me"||3.36|
|2.||"The Good Rebel"||4.20|
|3.||"The Death of You and Me" (music video)||4:01|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||15|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||24|
|Polish Singles Chart||43|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||10|
|UK Indie (Official Charts Company)||2|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||15|
- "Noel Gallagher's single named 'The Death Of You And Me'?". NME. 11 June 2011. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- "Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds to Release First Single". Noel Gallagher. 20 July 2011. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- Noel Gallagher (Interviewee) (6 July 2011). Noel Gallagher - Press Conference 6th July 2011. YouTube. Event occurs at 33:16. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- "The Death of You and Me - First Play!". Noel Gallagher. 22 July 2011. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- "Watch the Video for The Death of You and Me". Noel Gallagher. 25 July 2011. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- "Ultratop.be – Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds – The Death Of You And Me" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds – The Death Of You And Me" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Chart Track: Week 34, 2011". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Polish Singles Chart |".
- "Archive Chart: 2011-09-03". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-09-03" UK Indie Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-09-03" UK Singles Chart.