The Death of the West
|Author||Patrick J. Buchanan|
|Publisher||St. Martin's Griffin|
Description of book
The following description of the book appears on the back of the paperback edition:
The West is Dying. Collapsing birth rates in Europe and the United States, coupled with population explosions in Africa, Asia, and Latin America are set to cause cataclysmic shifts in world power, as unchecked immigration swamps and polarizes every Western society and nation.
The Death of the West details how a civilization, culture, and moral order are passing away and foresees a new world order that has terrifying implications for our freedom, our faith, and the preeminence of American democracy.
- Chapter One: Endangered Species
- Chapter Two: "Where Have All The Children Gone?"
- Chapter Three: Catechism of a Revolution
- Chapter Four: Four Who Made a Revolution
- Chapter Five: The Coming Great Migrations
- Chapter Six: La Reconquista
- Chapter Seven: The War Against the Past
- Chapter Eight: De-Christianizing America
- Chapter Nine: Intimidated Majority
- Chapter Ten: A House Divided
Kirkus Reviews panned the book. The review called it "[s]hameless, embarrassing rantings" and also remarked that "[l]ittle attests to the moral health of this nation more than the fact that it’s made a mockery of Buchanan's presidential ambitions time and again." The review particularly criticized Buchanan's claim that "[h]ad it not been for the West, African rulers would still be trafficking in the flesh of their kinsmen" as an example of dishonest historical revisionism.
Jonah Goldberg of The National Review wrote "First, let me say I both admire and dislike Buchanan's writing for the same reason: He brilliantly manages to do with one language what Yassir Arafat does with two. He offers red meat to the extremists while at the same giving himself the wiggle room to deny he said anything controversial in the first place. This is no mean feat."
- America Alone
- Churchill, Hitler and the Unnecessary War
- Opposition to immigration
- We Are Doomed: Reclaiming Conservative Pessimism
- "Random Thoughts on Buchanan's The Death of the West" by Steve Sailer
- "Reviving the West" Review and Thoughts by Hans-Hermann Hoppe
- "'The Death of the West'" Review by Paul Gottfried
- "Buchanan and Market" Economics Review by Jeffrey A. Tucker
- "Pat Buchanan and The Death of the West" Review by Jamie Glazov
- The Death of the West Review by Thomas Dunne