The Deep (2015 TV series)
|Created by||Tom Taylor|
|Written by||Tom Taylor|
|Directed by||Trent Carlson|
|Voices of||Vincent Tong|
|Country of origin||Australia/Canada|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||39 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Avrill Stark|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Nerd Corps Entertainment|
A Stark Production
|Original network||Family Chrgd (Canada)|
|Original release||December 1, 2015 –|
The Deep is an Australian/Canadian co-produced animated television series based on the comic book created by Tom Taylor and James Brouwer and published by Gestalt Comics. The series was optioned by Technicolor and produced by A Stark Production and the Canadian animation studio Nerd Corps Entertainment, a subsidiary of DHX Media. Commissed by ABC, it premiered on 7TWO on December 1, 2015 and began broadcasting in Canada the following month on Family Chrgd. Netflix acquired the U.S. SVOD rights to The Deep, and it began streaming in America on June 1, 2016  It also aired on Ici Radio-Canada Télé in Canada, and Universal Kids in the US.
It is set to be broadcast on CBBC (UK), RTS Deux (Switzerland), La Trois (Belgium), Ketnet (Belgium), NRK (Norway), DR (Denmark), SVT (Sweden) and YLE (Finland), Okto (Singapore) and Super RTL (Germany).
On February 8, 2018, DHX Media announced that the series has been renewed for a third season.
The series follows the Nekton family, a family of adventurous underwater explorers who live aboard a state-of-the-art submarine, the Aronnax, and explore unknown areas of the Earth's oceans to unravel the mysteries of the depths. The ancestors of the Nekton family died trying to solve the riddle of how to get to the lost city of Lemuria and refused to abandon it. Now, thanks to family friend Nereus, the Nektons know why they are so attracted to solving underwater riddles because they are the descendants of Lemurians.
The Nekton family
- Antaeus (Ant) Nekton (voiced by Vincent Tong): Younger Nekton Sibling
- Fontaine Nekton (voiced by Ashleigh Ball): Elder Nekton sibling with a crush on Dark Orca Pirate Smiling Finn
- Will Nekton (voiced by Michael Dobson): Antaeus and Fontaine's father.
- Kaiko Nekton (voiced by Kathleen Barr): Antaeus and Fontaine's mother.
- Jeffrey is the Nekton's pet Yellowback Basslet fish.
- Professor Fiction (voiced by James Higuchi): the Nekton's scientific adviser.
- Agnes De-Kretser (voiced by Saffron Henderson): an archeologist friend of the Nektons.
- Bob Gorman (voiced by Michael Kopsa): a close friend of the Nektons.
- Jess Gorman (voiced by Shannon Chan-Kent): the daughter of Bob Gorman, Fontaine's best friend, and the girl Ant has a crush on.
- Lester (voiced by Ian James Corlett): a mechanic who works for Professor Fiction.
- Griffin (voiced by Cole Howard): the son of Lester, and a friend of Ant's.
- Commander Pyrosome (voiced by Nicole Oliver): leader of the World Oceans authority.
- Kenji (voiced by Lee Tockar): a Japanese man who lives alone on an island.
- Nereus (voiced by Lee Tockar): an eccentric man who gives the Nektons vague advice on their search for Lemuria.
- Glaucus (voiced by Vincent Tong): another member of The Guardians.
- Tethys (voiced by Kathleen Barr): another member of The Guardians.
The Dark Orca
- Captain Hammerhead (voiced by Michael Dobson): Captain of the Dark Orca pirate crew. He is the Father of Smiling Finn and Mad Madeline.
- Smiling Finn (voiced by Samuel Vincent): Son of Captain Hammerhead and reluctant teen pirate. He has a crush on Fontaine.
- Mad Madeline (voiced by Kazumi Evans): Daughter of Captain Hammerhead and her father's pride and joy. She loves everything related to being a pirate and hates everything related to Ant and Jeffrey, making her Ant's rival.
- Danny Boy (voiced by Brian Drummond): First Mate of the Dark Orca pirate crew. He's terrified of Captain Hammerhead
- Proteus (voiced by Brian Drummond): a former member of The Guardians.
- Captain Marco is an ally to Proteus. He owns an icebreaker ship called Macintosh.
- Captain Hernandez betrayed the world oceans authority and stole a piece of the Ephemicron for Sebastian Conger.
- Sebastian Conger tries to capture the Ephemicron with the help of Captain Hernandez. He also stole the last example of a giant tortoise and valuable artworks from a shipwreck.
- Alpheus Benthos (voiced by Andrew Francis) who says Ant is destined to be his nemesis, he lives on a sub he built with an artificial intelligence.
- Devil Daniels (voiced by Trevor Devall): an internet-famous sea explorer that likes to antagonize the Nektons and get in the way of important missions. Daniel often hurts creatures to make them appear aggressive and will do anything to receive fame.
- Chadwick (voiced by Scott McNeil): a ship captain who wants to steal from the Nektons.
- Hickman (voiced by Cathy Weseluck): a weapons smuggler.
- Matilda Marshall (voiced by Diana Kaarina) : a kayaker.
|Title||Original air date|
|1||1||"Here Be Dragons"||January 1, 2016|
|William, Kaiko and their children Fontaine and Antaeus are the Nektons, a family of Underwater Explorers who set out to find a so-called Dragon near a fishing village in Greenland. But what the Aquanauts discover is far more ancient and significant to their search for "Lemuria", An Ancient Underwater city that has been lost for thousands of years.|
|2||2||"The Dark Orca"||January 16, 2016|
|The Nektons discovery of the Scroll leads them to Dolos, an information dealer at 'The Floating Market', a haven for Pirates, Bandits and Thieves. But when Hammerhead, The captain of Pirate Sub, The Dark Orca decides to go after the Nektons in Search of the Scroll, Kaiko must Prove that her Sub can take the heat when their only escape is through an Erupting Underwater Volcano.|
|3||3||"A.I.M.Y."||January 23, 2016|
|The Nektons new artificial intelligence tries to protect the Nektons from themselves.|
|4||4||"Digging Deeper"||January 30, 2016|
|The Nektons retrieve a mysterious package from the bottom of the ocean.|
|5||5||"The Devil's Sea Mystery"||February 6, 2016|
|The Nektons investigate reports of aliens in the Devil's Sea (near Hachijo-Kojima). First appearance of Kenji.|
|6||6||"Lonesome Jim"||February 13, 2016|
|First appearance of Conger, a collector of rare things.|
|The Nektons are captured by Captain Hammerhead aboard the Dark Orca.|
|Ant must pass a test by the Guardians to find a piece of the Ephemychron.|
|Ant hatches a baby creature.|
|The Nektons contend with a Colossal Squid.|
|Thanks to Ant, Devil Daniels, a popular 'Monster Hunter' decides to hunt a giant creature that he claims is a danger to the people. But the Nektons rush to stop Devil Daniels before the creature which in the end turns out to be a Giant Sea Horse can be killed.|
|12||12||"The Phantom Sub"|
|Ant finds an ancient one-man submarine that has been sailing alone on autopilot for hundreds of years. Can he figure out how to control it or will its ghostly spirit take him like it took its creator?|
|The Nektons are investigating the biggest underwater-waterfall in the world when they are sucked into a mysterious tunnel. Kaiko is hurt and the current is too strong to get out.|
|14||14||"The Abyss Stares Back"|
|The Nektons dive into a blue hole and meet a new type of octopus that has them on the menu.|
|15||15||"Treasure of the Islanders"|
|Fontaine and Antaeus search for an ancient treasure for people whose island was devastated by a volcanic eruption. Captain Hammerhead and his crew want the treasure so they can sell it.|
|16||16||"The Junior Nektons"|
|Fontaine and Antaeus are visited by their fan club.|
|17||17||"The Sunken Gallery"|
|The Nektons are framed for art theft.|
|18||18||"The Field of Giants"|
|The Nektons race to save a new species of Giant clams, before a new underwater volcano can erupt. Captain Hammerhead and his crew complicate matters.|
|19||19||"The Proteus Factor"|
|Proteus, leader of the Guardians, kidnaps Ant so he can make the Ephemychron whole.|
|20||20||"The Song of the Siren"|
|Devil Daniels has discovered a new creature, a whale with a beautiful voice, but believes that it's a vicious and dangerous Siren.|
|21||21||"Bad Luck Fish"|
|Dolos investigates the Sargasso Sea for a lost treasure when his ship sinks because of a fish. When the Nektons tries to save him, they to become trapped in the endless sea of Seaweed and start to believe in the Curse of "The Bad Luck Fish"|
|Following a Tip given to them by Commander Pyrosome, The Nektons track an huge group of Sea Life of all different Species. But soon find themselves facing off against a Male and a Female of the most ferocious and largest oceanic predators on the planet, the mighty 'Megaladon' Shark. Can Kaiko and Ant save Will and Fontaine from these monster sharks before they become food, or have the Nektons finally met their match?|
|The Nektons race to save the creature behind the Bloop from a Deep Sea Mining Machine.|
|24||24||"The Twilight Zone"||September 27, 2016|
|Thanks to a Giant Angler Fish, Every fish in Taiwanese waters, including Kaiko and Will fall under its spell of Bio-Luminescence, leaving Ant and Fontaine with the difficult task of sending the massive hypnotist back home without falling under its spell too. Can Fontaine find the strength to save her family or will the challenges of the Midnight Zone cause her to crack under the pressure?|
|25||25||"Loki's Castle"||October 4, 2016|
|Devil Daniels reveals the location of an ancient Viking shipwreck in Loki's Castle. The Nektons race to get there before Captain Hammerhead and his crew.|
|26||26||"Tartaruga"||October 11, 2016|
|The Nektons find the final piece of the Ephemychron in a cave on a floating island.|
|Title||Original air date|
|27||1||"From The Stars"|
|Ant and Fontaine meet Alpheus Benthos who says Ant is destined to be his nemesis, he lives on a sub he built with an artificial intelligence. Alpheus and Proteus are working together to find Lemuria, and Ant figures out how to use the Ephemecron. Nerius reveals what the terror is and that he has met Alpheus.|
|28||2||"The Baltic Sea Anomaly"||September 12, 2017|
|The Nektons investigate the Baltic Sea anomaly, after finding that a symbol in the Ephemecron's map is situated at that spot. The anomaly proves to be an ancient meteor that has been tunneled by a colony of Mantis shrimp.|
|29||3||"Mermaids"||September 19, 2017|
|30||4||"Treacherous Waters"||September 26, 2017|
|The Nektons investigate another spot marked on the Ephemecron's map, this one located in the Bermuda Triangle.|
|31||5||"Kenji's Monster"||October 3, 2017|
|32||6||"Finn Comes Aboard"||October 10, 2017|
|33||7||"Beware The Sentinels"||October 17, 2017|
|34||8||"Hidden Secrets"||November 7, 2017|
|35||9||"The Maze"||November 14, 2017|
|Following the Ephemecron map, The Nektons discover a mysterious underwater maze. Trapped, separated and running out of air will they find a way out, or will the monster find them first?|
|36||10||"Whale Of A Tale"|
|The Nektons discover the Dark Orca seemingly abandoned. The ship systems are malfunctioning and strange noises make the place seem haunted, but ghosts don't show up on radar...|
|38||12||"Thunder And Lightning"|
|Alpheus believes he has found the Gates of Lemuria, but he has actually found the prison of the Terror.|
In 2016, ABC signed a deal with DHX Media to secure the Australia DVD rights to The Deep. In Italy, Eagle Pictures will publish the series soon on DVD. In Germany, Just Bridge Entertainment will publish the series soon on DVD. In UK, Abbey Home Media Group will publish the series soon on DVD.
- Charles Webb (March 20, 2013). "Tom Taylor's Deep Sea Family Graphic Novels 'The Deep' Being Made Into An Animated Series". mtv.com.
- "Technicolor options rights to award-winning graphic novel series, The Deep". www.technicolor.com. January 22, 2013.
- "The Deep reels in Nerd Corps as co-production partner". kidscreen.com.
- "Technicolor's 'The Deep' Headed to the U.S. on Netflix". awn.com. June 1, 2016.
- Mercedes Milligan (March 16, 2015). "Technicolor Signs New Euro Broadcasters for 'The Deep'". www.animationmagazine.net.
- "The Deep" (Photo) – via www.facebook.com.
- "The Deep - S1 - Episode 12: The Phantom Sub". Radio Times.