Defence Services Staff College
English-To war with Wisdom
|Type||Inter-Service Institution of the Ministry of Defence of the Republic of India.|
|Established||1905 as the Army Staff College in Deolali|
|Commandant||Lt Gen Amrik Singh, SM|
|Students||Personnel of Indian Armed Forces|
|Location||Wellington Cantonment in The Nilgiris District of Tamil Nadu, India|
The Defence Services Staff College (DSSC) is an inter-service institution of the Ministry of Defence of the Republic of India.
One of the oldest military institutions in India, it was founded in 1905 as the Army Staff college in Deolali (near Bombay), and then re-located to Quetta (now Pakistan). After the partition of India and Pakistan, the Indian operations relocated to its present home in Wellington Cantonment in The Nilgiris District of Tamil Nadu, India.
By 1950 it was progressively transformed into a fully integrated Defence Services Staff College, imparting training to Officers of the three services in the company of some officers from the Indian Civil Services, Para Military Forces and friendly foreign countries. DSSC is affiliated to Madras University for award of M.Sc. degree in Defence and Strategic Studies and was recognized as a research institute in 1990.
The list of alumni reads like a Who's Who of the armed forces and includes:
- Gotabhaya Rajapaksa, Former Permanent Secretary, Defence Ministry of Sri Lanka
- Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw
- Sitiveni Rabuka OBE, MSD, OStJ, 3rd Prime Minister of Fiji
- Olusegun Obasanjo, Former Nigerian President
- Muhammadu Buhari, Former Military Head of State, Nigeria
- Hans-Christoph Ammon, Head of German special forces
- R. N. Malhotra, Former governor of the Reserve Bank of India.
- Lt. Gen. Zorawar Chand Bakshi (born 1921) PVSM, MVC, VrC, VSM 
- The Army Quarterly and Defence Journal. West of England Press. 1983. p. 175.