|Origin||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Genres||Alternative country, country soul, Americana|
|Labels||Decor, El Cortez|
The Delines are an American band from Portland, Oregon originally made up of vocalist Amy Boone, Jenny Conlee (The Decemberists) on keyboards, Sean Oldham and Willy Vlautin (Richmond Fontaine) and pedal steel player Tucker Jackson (Minus 5). The band was formed in 2012 and is self described as a "retro country band".
The Delines were formed when singer, Amy Boone, was touring with Richmond Fontaine and singing the female parts from that bands' 2006 album, Post to Wire, which had been performed by her sister Deborah Kelly. Kelly and Boone had been in the Texas band the Damnations. Vlautin then formed the Delines centred on Boone's evocative world-weary and vulnerable vocals. They gathered in Portland, Oregon with producer John Askew to cut the band's debut album, Colfax. Colfax was released June 2014, the songs combined Vlautin's admired lyrics about characters from the America's hinterland and their everyday struggles, with Boone's vocals, the emotion of which wrings out the pain of the characters. Colfax was well received by the ciritics and scored 87 on Metacritic with seven positive reviews.
Following the release of Colfax the band embarked on a European tour. They have since toured in North America and Australasia, and returned to Europe. A second album Scenic Sessions was released as a limited edition cd for sale only on the 2015 European tour and from the band's website. This 10 song album had seven songs by Vlautin, a song written by Cory Gray and another by Amy Boone, as well as a cover of Sunshine by Sparklehorse. Amy Boone was involved in a car accident in March 2016 and the band are planning to record again when she has recovered.
In October 2018 the band announced the release of their sophomore album The Imperial , would be on 11 January 2019, they also released a single from the album Eddie and Polly at the same time. They also announced a European tour for the beginning of 2019.
The Delines current members are:
- Amy Boone – vocals, guitar
- Cory Gray – keyboards, trumpet
- Tucker Jackson – pedal steel
- Sean Oldham – percussion, vocals
- Freddy Trujillo – bass, vocals
- Willy Vlautin – guitar, vocals
- John Askew – baritone guitar
- Colfax (2014)
- Scenic Sessions (2015)
- The Imperial (2019)
- "The Delines". Lastfm. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- Alan Jones (2014). "The Delines – Colfax Avenue". Uncut.
- Cara Gibney (2015). "Amy Boone on The Delines, The Damnations and What Exactly is a Social Message?". No Depression. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- "Colfax by The Delines". Metacritic.com. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- Rich Wilson. "The Delines Biography". Allmusic.com. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- "The Delines Tour". The Delines. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- "Scenic Sessions". Bandcamp. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- Ben Walsh (2016). "Richmond Fontaine: 'We're ending the band while we all still like each other'". The Independent. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- Cerys Kenneally (17 October 2018). "The Delines have announced their long-awaited sophomore album The Imperial with new single "Eddie And Polly"". The Line of Best Fit. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "The Delines The Imperial Tour". The Delines. Retrieved 9 December 2018.