The Demons (2015 film)
|Directed by||Philippe Lesage|
|Written by||Philippe Lesage|
|Music by||Pye Corner Audio|
|Edited by||Mathieu Bouchard-Malo|
Les Films de l'Autre
Productions Unité centrale
|Distributed by||FunFilm Distribution Inc.|
Based in part on Lesage's own childhood, the film stars Édouard Tremblay-Grenier as Félix, a ten-year-old boy living with his family in a quiet suburb of Montreal who is prone to excessive worry. As a series of child abductions begins to grip the town, however, his vague and needless fears begin to give way to something much more real.
The film premiered in September 2015 at the San Sebastian Film Festival. It was released in the province of Quebec (on 8 screens) on 30 October 2015. In December, the film was announced as part of the Toronto International Film Festival's annual Canada's Top Ten screening series of the ten best Canadian films of the year.
The Quebec Film Critic Association honoured the film with its two annual awards: Best Canadian film of 2015 and Best Film from the International Competition of the Montreal Film Festival of New Cinema.
In April 2016, Les Démons received the Breaking the Waves award for Best Film at the Titanic International Film Festival of Budapest.
In May 2016, Les Démons received the Golden Gate New Directors Prize at the San Francisco International Film Festival.
Awards and nominations
- 2015: Critic Award (AQCC) for Best Film, International Competition, Festival of New Cinema, 2015
- 2016: Canada's Top Ten, Toronto International Film Festival
- 2016: Nomination for Best Film, Gala du Cinema Quebecois
- 2016: Nomination for Best Director, Gala du Cinéma Québécois
- 2016: Gilles-Carles Award for Best First or Second feature fiction film
- 2016: Luc-Perreault Award / AQCC for Best Film from Quebec""
- 2016: Nomination for Best Motion Picture, Canadian Screen Awards
- 2016: Nomination for Best achievement in Directing, Canadian Screen Awards
- 2016: Nomination for The Ingmar Bergman International Debut Award
- 2016: Titanic Award for Best Film, International Competition, Budapest
- 2016: Golden Gate New Director Prize, San Francisco International Film Festival
- "Démons, Les – Film de Philippe Lesage". Films du Québec. Retrieved 15 January 2016.
- "Philippe Lesage explores his childhood fears in Les Démons". Montreal Gazette, October 25, 2015.
- "'The Demons' ('Les Demons'): San Sebastian Review". The Hollywood Reporter, September 30, 2015.
- "San Sebastian Film Review: ‘The Demons’". Variety, September 26, 2015.
- "TIFF reveals Canada’s Top Ten Film Festival line-up". The Globe and Mail, December 8, 2015.
- "And the nominees are..." Göteborg Film Festival. 12 January 2016. Retrieved 15 January 2016.