The Design Society
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Industry||Design Science and Design Research|
|Predecessor||Workshop Design Konstruktion group|
|Founded||2000 in Glasgow, United Kingdom|
|Tim C. McAloone (President), Georges Fadel (Vice-President & Treasurer), Kristin Paetzold (Secretary), Gaetano Cascini, Claudia Eckert, Panos Y. Papalambros (ex-officio board member).|
The Design Society is an international non-governmental, non-profit organisation with a focus on engineering design. The Design Society is a charitable body, registered in Scotland under the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator, number SC 031694. The Design Society's flagship event is the biennial International Conference in Engineering Design (ICED).
- 1 History
- 2 Organization
- 3 Conferences
- 3.1 ICED: International Conference on Engineering Design
- 3.2 E&PDE: Engineering and Product Design Education
- 3.3 International Conference on Design Creativity (ICDC)
- 3.4 DESIGN: The International Design Conference
- 3.5 Design for X (DFX) Symposium
- 3.6 Dependency and Structure Modeling (DSM) Conference
- 3.7 International Conference on Research into Design (ICoRD)
- 3.8 NordDesign Conference
- 3.9 Product Development Symposium (PDS)
- 4 Journal
- 4.1 Topics
- 4.2 Design methodology
- 4.3 Design processes
- 4.4 Design management
- 4.5 System design
- 4.6 Service design
- 4.7 Design methods and tools
- 4.8 Human behavior in design
- 4.9 Design creativity
- 4.10 Design education and lifelong learning
- 4.11 Design for healthcare
- 4.12 Design for sustainability
- 4.13 Data-driven design
- 4.14 Next generation systems
- 4.15 Design and mobility
- 5 References
- 6 External links
The Design Society was founded in 2000 building on the previous activities of the Workshop Design Konstruktion (WDK) group, especially the organisation of the ICED series of conferences held since 1981. The WDK group was an informally constituted international association based on a common interest in engineering design and founded in the early 1980s on the inspiration of Professors Vladimir Hubka, Mogens Myrup Andreasen, and Umberto Pighini.
The Design Society took over activities and responsibilities of WDK in 2001. The Design Society was constituted as a Charity under Scottish law and was incorporated as a Company Limited by Guarantee and Not Having a Share Capital under UK law (Companies Act, 2006).
Membership in The Design Society is open to persons with recognised design qualifications and experience in the fields of design research, design practice, design management, and design education. The Society is governed by a Board of Management. The Board of Management comprises five members of the Society elected democratically by the Society's members at General Meetings, and officers include including the President, Vice President and Secretary.
The Design Society also has an Advisory Board that advises, guides and supports the Board of Management (BM) in developing and furthering the objectives of the Society. The Advisory Boards' members are elected democratically by the Society's Members at General Meetings, which take place every two years during the ICED conferences.
The current serving officers (2017-2019) are Tim C. McAloone (President), Georges Fadel (Vice-President & Treasurer), Kristin Paetzold (Secretary), Gaetano Cascini (BM Member), Claudia Eckert, Panos Y. Papalambros (ex-officio BM member), and Alex Duffy (Advisory Board Chair).
The Design Society host, co-own and endorse a number of events:
ICED: International Conference on Engineering Design
ICED is the Biennial Flagship event owned and organised by The Design Society. Papers are published by the Design Society and indexed in Web of Science and Scopus. The conference attracts a wide background of attendees across academia, industry and governance with an interest in engineering design.
E&PDE: Engineering and Product Design Education
The Design Education Special Interest Group (DESIG) of the Design Society and the Institution of Engineering Designers (IED) and a host University collaborate on the organisation of the conference (University host listed in table below by year) co-owned by The Design Society. The conference is a forum to discuss current design educational issues and the nature of design education.
International Conference on Design Creativity (ICDC)
Promoted by the Design Creativity Special Interest group of the Design Society to discuss latest findings in the nature and potential of design creativity. The event is co-owned by The Design Society. Selected papers of the ICDC Conference are published after extension and further review in the International Journal of Design Creativity and Innovation.
DESIGN: The International Design Conference
Origanised by the University of Zagreb, with a Programme Committee from the Design Society, the DESIGN conference is a biennial conference that is endorsed by the Design Society. The objective of the DESIGN Conference series is to be integrative across the various design science disciplines, covering current state-of-the-art regarding the multidisciplinary aspects of design.
Design for X (DFX) Symposium
Is an endorsed event targeted at younger members with an interest in product development.
Dependency and Structure Modeling (DSM) Conference
Is an endorsed event which attracts those with an interest in DSM and tools to support.
International Conference on Research into Design (ICoRD)
A biennial event in India this conference attracts a wide range of engineering design interests. This event is endorsed by The Design Society.
A bi-annual Nordic conference on engineering design endorsed by The Design Society.
Product Development Symposium (PDS)
Product Development Symposium is an endorsed event of The Design Society aimed at an industry audience.
The Design Society, in collaboration with Cambridge University Press, publishes the journal Design Science. The journal welcomes possible collaboration. The published articles are on the topics listed below and open access (published under a Creative Commons licence).
The topics addressed by the Design Society community are discussed in the following journals:
- Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing (AI EDAM) - Published by Cambridge University Press
- CoDesign - International Journal of CoCreation in Design and the Arts - Published By Taylor & Francis Group
- Journal of Design Research - Published by Inderscience Publishers
- Journal of Engineering Design - Published by Taylor & Francis
- Research in Engineering Design - Published by Springer Science & Business Media
- The International Journal of Design Creativity and Innovation - Published by Taylor and Francis
The Design Society's members are actively engaged in a wide range of design topics, as reflected in its Special Interests Groups (SIGs) and its conference publications. These include the topics below (highlighted for ICED 2019 in Delft, Netherlands):
- Researching of designs and design methods
- Design theories and approaches
- Theory-driven design
- Experiments in design
- Product development models and strategies
- Design process modelling and management
- Product innovation engineering
- Industrial design
- Organisational understanding of product development
- Design of organizational processes
- Design of workspaces to manage product development
- Market and business implications
- Innovation strategies and innovation management
- Design practice: Best practice, industry practice (cases)
- Product and system modelling
- Product architectures, structural complexity
- Platform design, modularization, product family design
- Robust Design, Tolerance Management
- Design for Interfaces, Human-Machine Interfaces
- System of Systems Design
- Product-service systems design
- Planning for service co-production
- Design services in innovation networks
- Design for service delivery
- Design tools and -techniques for service design
Design methods and tools
- Design for X, design to X (quality, sustainability, costs, ...)
- Design tactics and methods
- Requirement management, user orientation, user integration
- Evaluation methods
- Modelling and simulation methods
- Usage and integration of supportive technologies
- Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality
- Digital Engineering
- Additive Manufacturing, 3D/4D Printing
Human behavior in design
- Designers’ thinking and skills
- Teamwork in design
- Collaborative and participatory design
- Design communication
- Representation of design information
- Design for emotion and experience
- Decision Making
- Emotional Engineering
- Creative design processes
- Cognitive processes in design creativity
- Supporting design creativity
- Assessing creativity
Design education and lifelong learning
- Teaching examples and experiments
- Education experiences, plans, and visions
- Training in design (academic and industrial)
- Awareness of societal consequences
Design for healthcare
- Design of medical devices
- Design for mental health and wellbeing
- Design for patient-centred care
- Designing e-health systems
- Design-driven innovations in healthcare
- User-centered design in healthcare
Design for sustainability
- Design for a circular economy
- Design for product lifetime optimization
- Design for sustainable life/ consumption
- Design for the environment
- Design for cleaner production
- Environmental and sustainability assessment
- Data collection and knowledge management for big data
- Designing with sensory data
- Design statistics
- Big data mining
- Modelling consumer preferences/ behaviour
- Machine learning
- Semantic data processing
- Engineering ontologies
Next generation systems
- Industry 4.0
- Designing of Cyber-Physical Systems
- Embedded Systems Design
- Design for the Internet of Everything
- Systems Engineering, Complex Systems Design
- Engineering of Robotics and Mechatronic Systems
- Design for Autonomous Agents
- Artificial Intelligence and Awareness
- Smart Engineering, Smart/self-adapting Systems
- Intelligent materials
Design and mobility
- Design for E–mobility
- Lightweight design and efficiency
- Infrastructure and support system design
- "OSCR | Charity Details". OSCR. Retrieved 2018-05-16.
- "ICED 2015". incluD-ed: European Network on Inclusive Education & Disability. May 17, 2018.
- International Conference on Engineering Design; Hubka, Vladimir; Eder, W. E, eds. (1981). Results of ICED 81: International Conference on Engineering Design in Rome 1981 = Ergebnisse von ICED 81 : Internationale Konferenz über Konstruieren in Rom 1981. Zürich: Edition Heurista. ISBN 3856930078. OCLC 13582499.
- D. F. SHELDON (1994) Vladimir Hubka and the Workshop DesignKonstruktion School, Journal of Engineering Design, 5:2, 91-92, DOI: 10.1080/09544829408907874
- Hubka, Vladimir; Eder, W. Ernst (2012-12-06). Design Science: Introduction to the Needs, Scope and Organization of Engineering Design Knowledge. Springer Science & Business Media. ISBN 9781447130918.
- Mogens Myrup Andreasen (2011) 45 Years with design methodology, Journal of Engineering Design, 22:5, 293-332, DOI: 10.1080/09544828.2010.538040
- Society, The Design. "Board of Management". The Design Society - a worldwide community. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- "International Conference on Engineering Design 2019 • Responsible Design for Our Future". ICED 19 Conference. Retrieved 2018-07-22.
- "E&PDE". E&PDE. Retrieved 2018-07-22.
- "The Fifth International Conference on Design Creativity - 2018". www.icdc2018.org.uk. Retrieved 2018-07-22.
- "International Journal of Design Creativity and Innovation".
- AMagdic.com. "DESIGN 2018 / DESIGN Conference". DESIGN 2018 / DESIGN Conference. Retrieved 2018-07-22.
- "Symposium DfX - Startseite". www.archiv.mfk.tf.fau.de (in German). Retrieved 2018-07-22.
- "DSM 2018". DSM 2018. Retrieved 2018-07-22.
- CPDM-kp. "ICoRD'19". cpdm.iisc.ac.in. Retrieved 2018-07-22.
- "Norddesign 2018". norddesign2018.org. Retrieved 2018-07-22.
- "PD-Symposium 2018". www.pd-symposium.org. Retrieved 2018-07-22.
- Papalambros, Panos Y. (July 2015). "Design Science: Why, What and How". Design Science. 1. doi:10.1017/dsj.2015.1. ISSN 2053-4701.