Stroustrup in 2010
December 30, 1950 |
|Residence||New York City, New York, U.S.|
University of Cambridge
Texas A&M University
|Alma mater||Aarhus University (MSc)
University of Cambridge (PhD)
|Known for||Creating C++|
|Notable awards||Dahl-Nygaard Prize from The European Organization for Object-Oriented Technologies.|
Bjarne Stroustrup (Danish: [ˈbjɑːnə ˈsdʁʌʊ̯ˀsdʁɔb]; born 30 December 1950) is a Danish computer scientist, most notable for the creation and development of the widely used C++ programming language. He is a visiting professor at Columbia University, and works at Morgan Stanley as a Managing Director in New York.
Stroustrup has a master's degree in mathematics and computer science (1975) from Aarhus University, Denmark, and a PhD. in computer science (1979) from the University of Cambridge, England. His thesis advisor at Cambridge was David Wheeler.
Stroustrup began developing C++ in 1978 (then called "C with Classes"), and, in his own words, "invented C++, wrote its early definitions, and produced its first implementation... chose and formulated the design criteria for C++, designed all its major facilities, and was responsible for the processing of extension proposals in the C++ standards committee." Stroustrup also wrote a textbook for the language, The C++ Programming Language.
Stroustrup was the head of AT&T Bell Labs' Large-scale Programming Research department, from its creation until late 2002. Stroustrup was elected member of the National Academy of Engineering in 2004. He is a Fellow of the ACM (1994) and an IEEE Fellow. From 2002 to 2014, Stroustrup was the College of Engineering Chair in Computer Science Professor at Texas A&M University. As of January 2014, Stroustrup is a Managing Director in the technology division of Morgan Stanley in New York City and a Visiting Professor in Computer Science at Columbia University. ITMO University noble doctor since 2013.
- Stroustrup, Bjarne (2013). A Tour of C++. Addison-Wesley Professional. ISBN 978-0321958310.
- Stroustrup, Bjarne (2008-12-29). Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ (1st ed.). Addison-Wesley Professional. ISBN 0-321-54372-6.
- Stroustrup, Bjarne (2013-05-23). The C++ Programming Language (4th ed.). Addison-Wesley Publishing Company. ISBN 0-321-563840.
- Stroustrup, Bjarne (1994-03-29). Design and Evolution of C++ (1st ed.). Addison-Wesley Publishing Company. ISBN 0-201-54330-3.
- Ellis, Margaret A.; Stroustrup, Bjarne (1990-01-01). The Annotated C++ Reference Manual. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company. ISBN 0-201-51459-1.
- "Stroustrup: Biographical Information". Stroustrup.com. Retrieved 2016-06-09.
- Stroustrup, Bjarne. "How do you pronounce "Bjarne Stroustrup?"". Bjarne Stroustrup's Homepage. Retrieved 18 November 2014.
- Stroustrup, Bjarne. "Bjarne pronounces his own name". Bjarne Stroustrup's Homepage. Retrieved 18 November 2014.
- Wong, William (29 October 2013). "Interview: Bjarne Stroustrup Discusses C++". Electronic Design. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- "Bjarne Stroustrup's Homepage". Research.att.com. Retrieved 2016-06-09.
- Stroustrup, B. (2010). "Viewpoint: What should we teach new software developers? Why?". Communications of the ACM. 53: 40. doi:10.1145/1629175.1629192.
- Stroustrup, B. (1998). "The Real Stroustrup Interview" (PDF). Computer. 31 (6): 110–119. doi:10.1109/MC.1998.683014.
- Wong, William (26 November 2013). "Bjarne Stroustrup: C++ Creator Keeps Developing". Electronic Design. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- Stroustrup, Bjarne (1979). Communication and control in distributed computer systems (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge.
- "David Wheeler". The Mathematics Genealogy Project. Department of Mathematics, North Dakota State University. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- The C++ Programming Language, B. Stroustrup, p.10
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 1 July 2007. Retrieved 27 June 2007.
- Communications, Texas A&M Engineering (8 September 2015). "Faculty - People - Computer Science & Engineering - College of Engineering". Cse.tamu.edu. Retrieved 2016-06-09.
- "Department of Computer Science, Columbia University - Faculty". Cs.columbia.edu. Retrieved 2016-06-09.
- CHM. "Bjarne Stroustrup— CHM Fellow Award Winner". Retrieved 30 March 2015.
- Tolliver, Judy, ed. "A conversation with Bjarne Stroustrup, Gillies lecturer and inventor of C++", Stroustrup.com. Accessed August 30, 2016. "Stroustrup currently heads AT&T Bell Labs Large-scale Programming Research department and is a Bell Laboratories Fellow. In 1993, he received the ACM Grace Hopper award and is a Fellow of ACM as well. He lives in Watchung, New Jersey, with his wife and two children."
- Bjarne Stroustrup at DBLP Bibliography Server
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic Search
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bjarne Stroustrup.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Bjarne Stroustrup|