The Devil Came on Horseback
|The Devil Came on Horseback|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ricki Stern
|Produced by||Jane Wells, Gretchen Wallace|
|Written by||Ricki Stern
|Music by||Paul Brill|
John Keith Wasson
|Edited by||Joey Grossfield|
|Distributed by||Break Thru Films|
The Devil Came on Horseback is a documentary film by Ricki Stern and Anne Sundberg illustrating the continuing Darfur Conflict in Sudan. Based on the book by former U.S. Marine Captain Brian Steidle and his experiences while working for the African Union. The film asks viewers to become educated about the ongoing genocide in Darfur and laments the failure of the US and others to end the crisis.
It premiered at Sundance Film Festival in 2007, was screened at the Laemmle Music Hall on Wilshire Blvd. in Los Angeles in June 2007 and opened its nationwide release at the IFC New York in July 2007. It was released on DVD on 30 October 2007.
- Working Films Award, Full Frame Documentary Film Festival, 2007.
- Seeds of War Award, Full Frame Documentary Film Festival.
- Witness award, Silverdocs Film Festival, 2007.
- Lena Sharpe / Women in Cinema Persistence of Cinema Award, Seattle International Film Festival.
- Adrienne Shelly, Excellence in Filmmaking Award, Nantucket Film Festival.
- Index on Censorship Film Award, Freedom of Expression Award 2009, Index on Censorship.
- "The Reluctant Hero of Darfur, the Movie", New York Times. Accessed 1 July 2014.
- "The Devil Came on Horseback (2007)", New York Times. Accessed 1 July 2014.
- "Freedom of Expression Award 2009 Recipients Announced", Index on Censorship. Accessed 3 July 2014.
- "Speaker's Bureau Site to Book Gretchen Steidle Wallace as a Speaker", GDA Speakers. Accessed 3 July 2014.
|This article about a war documentary film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|