The Dirty Clergy
The Dirty Clergy
|Origin||Winfield, Alabama, United States|
|Genres||Indie Rock, Rock & Roll, Garage Rock, Indie Pop, Alternative Rock, Pop Rock|
|Labels||Cornelius Chapel Records|
The Dirty Clergy is a garage rock/pop band from Winfield, Alabama, whose music has been described as vintage rock, indie rock, and "indie rock pop'n'roll". Their music recalls '50s and early '60s rock 'n' roll, while also possessing hard edge.
Truth Wars, Shake EP, Revival
Formed in 2009 in Winfield, Alabama the musical project consists of Brian Manasco, Ky Carter, and Joshua Pope. The band started as a two piece folk band with Manasco and Tyler Evans. It wasn't until July 2010 when the full band formed, with its current style.
The band's "Breakdown" EP was recorded in San Antonio, Texas by Gordon Raphael, well known for his work with The Strokes and Regina Spektor. However, the EP was never officially released. The EP was followed in 2011 by their first full-length album, "Revival."
2012 saw the band tour the U.S., garnering positive reviews of their live shows and album. The Dayton City Paper proclaimed the band as a 'new gear in the rock and roll transmission'.
After a brief time off in 2013, the band returned in 2014 to record "Shake, Shake", a single. It appeared on mtvU and axs-tv. Its success landed them the title of 2014’s Rock Artist of the Year from fashion blog Glitter & Stilletos. It also led to their national television premiere's on both MTV and AXS TV.
The band's second studio album was recorded in Birmingham, Alabama between January and August 2015. The band has received moderate success with it including a top 10 showing on the KKBB Alt specialty charts album category and a top 5 with the single 'Summer Days'.
Paul Cashmere, Australian music journalist, picked up on the release 'Rattlesnake' saying, "This is a band and an album I’m quite excited about. The Dirty Clergy represent everything that made Rock great." Canadian music blog The Revue said The Dirty Clergy are a reminder that a classic genre can still feel refreshing and inviting. Alabama journalist John Archibald did a piece on the band saying "Hard work reminiscent of Springsteen, familiar and groovy and comfortable, but driving like a bunch of Alabama rockers chasing a dream through the streets of Manhattan."During the Summer of 2016 the tunes caught the attention of notable dj's Rodney Bingenheimer of KROQ Los Angeles and Scott Register of Reg's Coffeehouse.
The band stated in an interview with Round Magazine that 'Summer Days' was one of the final songs written for the album 'Rattlesnake'. The original intention for the song was to have a set of these 'beachy/summer' type songs and do a 5 or 6 song EP.
The Dirty Clergy was featured, alongside English singer/songwriter David Gray, in an October 2016 edition of XS Noize Music's podcast being the featured band with their song 'Gold' The site also included them in their 'Unsigned Showcase' feature.
On July 12, 2017 The Dirty Clergy premiered their music video for 'I' on AXS; followed by their SiriusXM debut with 'Summer Days' on Little Steven's Underground Garage with that video premiering on the prominent UK music blog One Stop Record Shop.
In Waves was recorded at Ol Elegante Studio in Homewood, AL from December 2017 until March 2019. The first single, 'Trials', was premiered by Left Bank Mag in July, 2019. The song was also featured on the Spotify 'Fresh Finds' playlist. The video for 'Trials' was premiered by the long running music magazine, The Big Takeover.
An early review, from The Chattanooga Pulse, of the complete album praised the band by saying the "emotional impact is unexpected and stunning. Deconstructing the tunes on In Waves, it is clear that there is genius at work."
- Brian Manasco - Vocals, Guitar (2010 - present)
- Ky Carter - Bass (2012 - present)
- Joshua Pope - Guitar (2010 - present)
- Cody Moorehead - Drums (2012 - present)
The Dirty Clergy's 'Rattlesnake' was nominated by Music Resource Group (MRG) for best indie/alt rock album in The 15th annual Independent Music Awards. The event is held each November at Lincoln Center in New York, NY.
Awards and nominations
|2016||Independent Music Awards||Rock Album of the Year||Rattlesnake||Nominated|
- Truth Wars Demo (2010)
- Revival (2011)
- Rattlesnake (2016)
- In Waves (TBD)
- The Breakdown (2011)
- Shake (2012)
- Live at The Stork Club - Oakland, CA (2012)
- "Shake, Shake" (2014)
- "All I Need" (2016)
- "Summer Days" ft. Karina Noelle (2016)
- "Decades" (2016)
- "Gold" (2016)
- "Nothing" (2017)
- "Do or Die" (2017)
- "I" (2017)
- "Trials" (2019)
KKBB Alt Rock Charting
|Summer Days ft. Karina Noelle||#4|
|All I Need||#5|
- Music of United States
- American rock
- Category:American musical groups
- Music of Alabama
- List of indie pop artists
- "Filthy New Music: The Dirty Clergy | One Stop Record Shop". 2016-06-28. Retrieved 2016-08-10.
- "The Dirty Clergy". roundmagazine.net. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "The Dirty Clergy Won't Be Kept Down | Dayton City Paper". www.daytoncitypaper.com. Retrieved 2016-08-10.
- "The Dirty Clergy Win This Round Of The Freshmen | mtvu.com". archive.is. 2015-04-22. Archived from the original on 2015-04-22. Retrieved 2017-07-14.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "The Dirty Clergy Rattlesnake Release Just in Time for 4th of July - Glitter and Stilettos-Lifestyle Fashion Music Blog". Glitter and Stilettos-Lifestyle Fashion Music Blog. 2016-07-01. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "The Dirty Clergy Prep 'Rattlesnake' And Debut 'All I Need' #VIDEO". Australia's Music News Authority. 2016-06-26. Retrieved 2016-08-10.
- "The Dirty Clergy - "All I Need" (single premiere)". The Revue. 2016-05-06. Retrieved 2016-08-10.
- "'The Dirty Clergy:' A small-town Alabama band reaches to grab its star". Retrieved 2016-08-10.
- "Rodney On The Roq Playlist 8/8/16: Skating Polly, Descendents, Bleeker, And More". Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "'Reg's Coffee House' July 18, 2016 Playlist". AL.com. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "The Dirty Clergy Come Clean". www.roundmagazine.net. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "This Week's Top 11 Playlist: 09 September 2016 - A Journal of Musical Things". 2016-09-09. Retrieved 2016-09-10.
- "#19: XS Noize Music Podcast: David Gray talks New Best Of + Upcoming Live Shows - On this weeks XS Noize Music Podcast Mark Millar chats with singer songwriter David Gray about his early career and his forthcoming Greatest Hits collectio". 2016-10-09. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- "Singles Club - Premiere Edition: The Dirty Clergy". www.logicfuzzy.com. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- "XS NOIZE – Unsigned Showcase #20 - The Dirty Clergy - At XS Noize, new music is dear to our hearts and we believe that genuinely talented fresh artists deserve a platform to share their material with the world". 2016-10-10. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- Casey (2016-11-17). "On the Radar: The Dirty Clergy". ReverbNation Blog. Retrieved 2016-11-18.
- AXS"Exclusive video premiere: 'I' by The Dirty Clergy". AXS. Retrieved 2017-07-12.
- "Rodney on the Rock". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2017-07-24.
- "PREMIERE: The Dirty Clergy | Summer Days | One Stop Record Shop". One Stop Record Shop. 2017-11-30. Retrieved 2017-12-14.
- "25 essential Alabama musicians to know for 2018". AL.com. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- "The Dirty Clergy Premiere 'Trials'".
- "Video Premiere: 'Trials' by The Dirty Clergy".
- "The 90's Never Died: The Dirty Clergy Return".
- "Independent Music Awards | The 15th Independent Music Awards Nominees". independentmusicawards.com. Retrieved 2016-10-20.