The Ditty Bops
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Ditty Bops
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, USA|
|Genres||Folk, bluegrass, country, blues, western swing, ragtime|
|Members||Abby DeWald, Amanda Barrett|
The Ditty Bops were an American band from Los Angeles, California that began with Warner Brothers, and later self-produced recordings. Noted for their tight vocal harmonies by Abby DeWald and Amanda Barrett. They incorporated a variety of musical styles such as folk, bluegrass, blues, western swing, ragtime and musical theater with guitar, ukulele, mandolin and dulcimer. Their live shows were often very interactive, and had different themes and theatrical elements complete with props, costumes, skits, and amusing slide shows.
Romantically involved since 1999, DeWald and Barrett met in New York City and formed The Ditty Bops years later after a hunt for a neighbor's lost cat. When they unwittingly crossed into the backyard of a stranger, they discovered that he was a musician and an avid guitar collector. He encouraged them to form a band and start playing.
From May 23 through September 2, 2006, the Ditty Bops embarked on a cross-country tour by bicycle to promote the release of their second album, Moon Over the Freeway, while advocating a call-to-action about pollution and energy conservation. They traveled from Los Angeles to New York City, logging 4,502.75 miles.
In October 2008, Abby and Amanda announced their marriage in California via an e-mail message to their fans and MySpace Blog.
Bob Dylan's 2009 Christmas Album " Christmas in the Heart" features the duo.
- The Ditty Bops (CD) – Warner Bros. Records – 2004
- Moon Over The Freeway (CD) – Warner Bros. Records – 2006
- Pack Rat (EP) – Ditty Bops Music – 2007
- Summer Rains (CD) – Ditty Bops Music – 2008
- Songs for Steve (EP) – Ditty Bops Music – 2009
- The Color Album (EP) – Ditty Bops Music – 2010
- Love Letters (CD) – Ditty Bops Music – 2011
- Jelly for President - Yes We Jam (CD) – Ditty Bops Music – 2011
- Nagy, Evie. "The Ditty Bops". GO! (July 9, 2008). Retrieved April 9, 2015.
- "Grey's Anatomy - Various Artists". AllMusic. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- Levack, Chandler. "The Ditty Bops". The Village Voice (September 22, 2009).
- "A Prairie Home Companion: May 7, 2005". American Public Media. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "A Prairie Home Companion: June 18, 2005". American Public Media. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- Billboard Going GREEN
- The Ditty Bops MySpace Blog Archived 2009-02-07 at the Wayback Machine
- This year, Amanda and Abby sang with Bob Dylan on his new album Christmas in the Heart, with royalties from sales being donated to Feeding America to provide meals to millions of people in need.Source: Ditty Bops' Myspace
- ThoughtWorthy Media Interview with The Ditty Bops (38:04)
- The Advocate: "Gotta have my Bops"
- "Folkscene", 2005-11-13, KPFK
- Official Facebook Page -For most current news and info from the band itself
- The Ditty Bops at The Rock Hard Times, comprehensive discography, music videos, mp3s
- The Ditty Bops collection at the Internet Archive's live music archive
- Interview with music from The Ditty Bops
- The Ditty Bops on Last.fm
- Interview with Amanda Barrett on Sepiachord