The Downfall of Capitalism and Communism
|Original title||The Downfall of Capitalism and Communism
A New Study of History
|Published||May 1978 Venus Books (1st Ed.)
January 1990 Macmillan Publishers (2nd Ed.)
|Media type||Print (Hardback)|
|ISBN||0-333-21645-8 (1st Ed.)
0-939352-09-5 (2nd Ed.)
The Downfall of Capitalism and Communism is a book by Ravi Batra in the field of historical evolution, first published in 1978. The book's full title is The Downfall of Capitalism and Communism: A New Study of History. Following the collapse of Soviet Communism in 1990, a 2nd edition was published with the title The Downfall of Capitalism and Communism: Can Capitalism Be Saved?
The book introduced an application of P.R. Sarkar's idea that different socio-political groups, based on "inherent differences in human nature", that in turn are rooted in "characteristics of the mind," rotate in controlling the social motivity, determine the historical evolution over time. Batra argues that groups of warriors, intellectuals or acquisitors take turns at leading society in their respective ages marked by ascension, supremacy and decline; citing historical examples.
Downfall of capitalism
Batra suggested capitalism would collapse before communism.
That capitalism is eventually doomed to extinction, even its most ardent supporters would admit. Many would argue that by gradual evolution itself the facial features of capitalism will be altered, if not transformed. However, I believe the [social] revolution will occur in the next twenty-five to fifty years. (pg. 238)
In 1985, in The Great Depression of 1990, Batra predicted the collapse of capitalism would begin in 1990. In 2007, Batra made new predictions in his book The New Golden Age: The Coming Revolution against Political Corruption and Economic Chaos which he subsequently felt were being realised with the Occupy Wall Street movement.
- Law of Social Cycle
- Predictions of the dissolution of the Soviet Union
- Progressive Utilization Theory
- Batra, Ravi (1978). The Downfall of Capitalism and Communism: A New Study of History. London: McMillan. p. 2. ISBN 0-333-21645-8
- "Harold Channer with Ravi Batra". Conversations with Harold Hudson Channer. YouTube / Manhattan Neighborhood Network. Oct 12, 2008 (Air date: 04-18-90). Retrieved 26 November 2013. Check date values in:
- "Russia: The long life of Homo sovieticus". The Economist. December 10, 2011. Retrieved October 16, 2012.
- "Greenspan Reappraised; About Ravi Batra". Southern Methodist University. 2006. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- Ravi Batra. ""The Occupy Wall Street Movement and the Coming Demise of Crony Capitalism", Truthout, October 11, 2011". Retrieved October 13, 2011.