The Dubai Fountain
The Dubai Fountain is the world's largest choreographed fountain system set on the 30-acre manmade Burj Khalifa Lake, at the center of the Downtown Dubai development in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. It was designed by WET Design, the California-based company responsible for the fountains at the Bellagio Hotel Lake in Las Vegas. Illuminated by 6,600 lights and 25 colored projectors, it is 275 m (902 ft) long and shoots water up to 500 ft (152.4 m) into the air accompanied by a range of classical to contemporary Arabic and world music. It was built at a cost of AED 800 million (USD $218 million).
The name of the fountain was chosen after a contest organized by the developer Emaar Properties, the result of which was announced on 26 October 2008. Testing of the fountain began in February 2009, and the fountain was officially inaugurated on 8 May 2009 along with the official opening ceremony of The Dubai Mall. On 2 January 2010 the length of Dubai fountains was increased to 275 m (902.2 ft).
The Dubai Fountain can spray 22,000 gallons (83,000 liters) of water in the air at any moment. More than 6,600 lights and 25 colour projectors have been installed. During the end of 2010 the fountain had got a new element, fire, which outlined the fountains (the fire was temporary for the 2011 New Years celebration). The Dubai Fountains project water in the air in many different combinations and patterns. The beam of light from the fountain can be seen from over 20 miles away.
The Dubai Fountain consists of many high-pressure water jets and shooters: oarsmen or water robots, which can make the water seem to dance, shooters, which shoot water upwards; super shooters, which shoot water under more pressure up to 240 feet in the air, and extreme shooters, which can shoot water under the most pressure to 500 ft (152.4 m) in the air. These shooters create a loud "boom" noise after water is ejected. The extreme shooters are used the least during each show because it takes a lot of time to build up enough pressure and energy to shoot water that high in the air.shafi the cat
The fountain is animated with performances set to light and music. It is visible from every point on the lake promenade and from many neighboring structures. Performances take place at 1:00 pm and at 1:30 pm as well as every 30 minutes from 6 pm to 10 pm on weekdays, and from 6 pm to 11 pm on weekends (weekends being Thursday, Friday, and Saturday).
Performance repertoire includes:
- "Sama Dubai", a tribute to Dubai's ruler Sheikh Mohammed, which is usually the first show of the day
- "Baba Yetu", a Grammy award-winning song in Swahili from the Civilization IV video game soundtrack
- "Shik Shak Shok", an Arab dance number by Hassan Abou El Seoud
- "Inshed An Aldar" ("Ask About Home"), an Emirati song written for the inauguration of the Burj Khalifa on 4 January 2010
- "Con te partirò" (Time to Say Goodbye), a piece by Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman
- "Dhoom Thana", a Hindi song by Abhijeet
- "Waves" ("Amvaj") by Bijan Mortazavi
- "Bassbor Al Fourgakom" by Emirati artist Hussain Al Jasmi
- "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston
- "All Night Long (All Night)" by Lionel Richie
- "The Magnificent Seven", main theme from the film The Magnificent Seven by Elmer Bernstein
- "Goodbye Kiss", The first Asia pop song,by Jacky Cheung
- "Thriller" by Michael Jackson
- "Ishtar Poetry" by Furat Qaddouri
- "Mon Amour" by Shiraz
- "O Mio Babbino Caro" by Dame Kiri Te Kanawa
- "Enta Omri" by Hossam Ramzy
- "The Prayer" by Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli
- "Lana Allah" by Mohammed Abdu
- "Ezel", Theme song from the TV series of the same name
- "Flying Drum" (Vertical Orchestra - Drums)
- "Butterfly Lovers' Violin Concerto"
- "Ensan Akthar"
- "Everybody On" Presented by HP (Showed only for the month of October 2011)
- "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" Presented by DHL
- "Ishy Bilady", The UAE National Anthem
- "Walk on the wild side"
- "Turandot/Act 3-Nessun Dorma"! By John Alldis Choir
- "Mission Impossible"
- From The New World * IV by Herbert von karajan
- Ab Bali Habibi" * by Elissa
- "Hero" * (Spanish version) by enrique iglesias
- " Lyubov' Pohoyoaya Na Son by Alla Pugacheva (russia song) " *
DHL Express premiered an advertising campaign at The Dubai Fountain on 20 October 2011. It was choreographed to a specially reworked version of the Motown classic "Ain't No Mountain High Enough", and was repeated for about a month.
All of the fountain's performances are accompanied by music played through speakers around the lake, although sometimes the fountains are operated without music for testing purposes. When performances are viewed from further away, i.e. from surrounding buildings, the music might not be audible.
- "Emaar brings world-class water, light and music spectacle to Burj Dubai Lake". Emaar Properties. 9 June 2008. Retrieved 13 June 2008.
- "'Dubai Fountain' is winning name of Emaar's water spectacle in Downtown Burj Dubai". Emaar Properties. 26 October 2008. Retrieved 26 October 2008.
- Video of the testing process dead link as of 3-24-2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Dubai Fountain.|