The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox
|The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox|
|Directed by||Melvin Frank|
|Produced by||Melvin Frank|
|Written by||Melvin Frank|
|Music by||Charles Fox|
|Cinematography||Joseph F. Biroc|
|Edited by||Frank Bracht|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|April 1, 1976|
|Box office||$4,120,000 (US/ Canada)|
A popular dance hall girl, Duchess, joins with a gambler nicknamed the "Dirtwater Fox" on the way to Salt Lake City, Utah. Seeking refuge from a pursuing gang of outlaws, the Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox join a wagon train of Mormons. On their trip, they encounter snakes, rapids, horseback pursuits through towns, and even getting tied up by the outlaws (eventually escaping).
According to the closing credits, much of the film was shot in and around the historic community of Central City, Colorado. Matte paintings were used to re-create the historic look of San Francisco and Salt Lake City.
- George Segal as Charlie "Dirtwater Fox" Malloy
- Goldie Hawn as Amanda "Duchess" Quaid
- Conrad Janis as Gladstone
- Thayer David as Josiah Widdicombe
- Jennifer Lee as Trollop
- Sid Gould as Rabbi
- Pat Ast as Music hall singer
- E. J. André as Prospector
- Richard Farnsworth as Stagecoach driver
- Clifford Turknett as Mr. Weatherly
The film was given mixed to negative reviews, with the Chicago Tribune's Gene Siskel particularly singling it out as, in his view, an unintended sequel to Mel Brooks' Blazing Saddles. As of 21 July 2012, it has a 20% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
- Aubrey Solomon, Twentieth Century Fox: A Corporate and Financial History, Scarecrow Press, 1989 p258
- Solomon p 233. Please note figures are rentals not total gross.
- The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox on IMDb
- The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox at AllMovie
- The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox at Rotten Tomatoes
- Behind-the-scenes production photos Collection of crew member Stephen Lodge.
|This article about a romantic comedy film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 1970s Western film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|