The Early Widows
|The Early Windows|
|Studio album by Justin Rutledge|
|Released||May 4, 2010|
|Label||Six Shooter Records|
|Justin Rutledge chronology|
The Early Widows is the fourth album by Canadian singer-songwriter Justin Rutledge, released on May 4, 2010 on Six Shooter Records. The album, produced by Canadian singer-songwriter Hawksley Workman, was recorded at The Woodshed, a recording studio owned by Canadian country-rock band Blue Rodeo. According to Rutledge, the songs are written with a single character in mind from the Michael Ondaatje novel Divisadero.
All tracks written by Justin Rutledge, except where noted.
|1.||"Be a Man"|
|2.||"Jack of Diamonds"|
|4.||"The Heart of a River"|
|5.||"I Have Not Seen the Light"|
|10.||"All Around This World"|
Ondaatje contributed to the writing of several of the songs, and is credited as co-writer on the single "Be a Man".
The track "I Have Not Seen the Light" is co-written with Nashville singer-songwriter Darrell Scott.
- David Baxter – electric guitar
- Burke Carroll – pedal steel
- Gary Craig – Stew Crookes – tubular bells, electric guitar
- Bazil Donovan – bass
- Julie Fader – voice
- Blake Manning – drums, percussion
- Oh Susanna – voice
- Justin Rutledge – electric, acoustic and 12-string guitars, piano, wurlitzer, voice
- Hawksley Workman – electric guitar, piano, percussion
- Jesse Zubot – violin, viola, mandolin, soundscapes
- Amoy Levy, Nevon Sinclair, Sharon Riley – choir
- "Exclusive: Toronto Singer-Songwriter Justin Rutledge Teams Up with Michael Ondaatje for Upcoming Stage Production, Begins Work on Fourth Album". Exclaim!, August 21, 2009.
- "Blue Rodeo, BSS on Polaris long list". The Globe and Mail, June 17, 2010.
- "Justin Rutledge teams with Michael Ondaatje". The Globe and Mail, April 10, 2010.