Edrington (spirits company)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010)
Edrington (legally The Edrington Group Ltd.) is a privately owned international spirits company based in Glasgow, Scotland. It produces single malts The Macallan, Highland Park, The Glenrothes, and The Famous Grouse blended Scotch whisky. The spirits portfolio also includes Noble Oak Bourbon of Independence, Kentucky, Brugal, the leading golden rum in the Caribbean and Snow Leopard vodka. It is a stakeholder in Tequila Partida, a tequila based in the Tequila Valley, Mexico, and in Wyoming Whiskey, an American whiskey made in Kirby, Wyoming.
Based in Glasgow, it employs approximately 3,000 people in its wholly owned and joint venture businesses around the world. Approximately 900 employees are based in Scotland. Approximately 70% of the workforce is outside Scotland.
The Robertson sisters (Elspeth, Agnes and Ethel) inherited the Scotch whisky interests founded and developed by their grandfather and father. Keen to ensure the independence of the company, the welfare of its employees and to continue their tradition of supporting good causes in Scotland, in 1961 the sisters created The Edrington Group (named after a farm near their home in the Scottish Borders) to hold their business interests.
They also established The Robertson Trust in 1961, a registered charity under Scottish law, which owns all voting shares in the company. The Robertson Trust is Scotland's largest independent grant-making charitable trust, and is funded by the dividend income of its shares in Edrington. Since 1961 the Trust has donated more than £152 million to charities in Scotland and given financial support to young people from deprived backgrounds who are attending higher education.
Over the past ten years Edrington has increased the international nature of its business through the acquisition of brands and sales and distribution companies in key markets. Its brands are distributed across the world by a network of wholly owned companies, joint venture companies and third party distributors.
- In February, 2008 the company bought a majority shareholding in Brugal of the Dominican Republic, the leading golden rum in the Caribbean.
- In April 2010 Edrington acquired Cutty Sark blended Scotch whisky brand from long-standing trading partner Berry Bros. & Rudd.
- In 2014 Edrington moved its Asia headquarters from Hong Kong to Singapore and created a new regional hub for Asia - Edrington Asia Pacific.
- In April 2014, Edrington ended its relationship with Rémy Cointreau in the United States, and created its own distribution company - Edrington Americas
- Edrington Global Travel Retail was created in 2015. It is based in the company's Asia Pacific Headquarters in Singapore.
- In 2016 Edrington formed a partnership with Tequila Partida.
- In 2018 the company formed a partnership with Wyoming Whiskey, an American whiskey.
- In November 2018, Edrington sold the Cutty Sark blended Scotch Whisky brand to La Martiniquaise, a privately owned spirits company based in France.
- The Macallan single malt Scotch Whisky
- Highland Park single malt Scotch Whisky
- The Glenrothes single malt Scotch Whisky
- The Famous Grouse blended Scotch Whisky
- Naked Grouse blended malt Scotch Whisky
- Brugal 1888 rum
- Snow Leopard vodka
- Tequila Partida (Edrington Americas)
- Wyoming Whiskey (Edrington Americas)
- Noble Oak (Edrington Americas)
- "Our History". The Robertson Trust. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- "The Robertson Trust, Registered Charity no. SC002970". Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator.
- ""Edrington chief knighthood"". harpers.co.uk. Retrieved 4 April 2019.