The Ego Has Landed
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|The Ego Has Landed|
|Studio album (compilation) by Robbie Williams|
|Released||4 May 1999|
|Recorded||1997 – 1998|
|Robbie Williams chronology|
The Ego Has Landed is a compilation album by English singer Robbie Williams. After the success of Williams around the world, especially in Europe, Williams was signed to Capitol Records in the United States, which was a part of EMI at the time. The album was released in May 1999 in the United States and Canada, and later issued worldwide.
Williams embarked on a US Promotional Tour and when his first American single, "Millennium" was released, it peaked at No. 72 in the Billboard Hot 100. The album The Ego Has Landed was released in May 1999 in the United States and peaked at No. 63 in the Billboard albums chart, not having the success that he enjoyed in Europe. Despite this, Williams enjoyed good video airplay and received a nomination for the MTV Video Music Awards for "Best Male Video"; he did not win, but the exposure helped the sales of the album.
Capitol Records, trying to make Williams a bigger star, released a second single from the album, the ballad "Angels", for which Williams shot a new video. When it was released in the autumn of that year, the song became a somewhat bigger hit than "Millennium", charting at No. 53. However, this was not enough for Williams, so he concentrated on the rest of the world where he was already an established act. The album went on to sell 598,000 copies in the United States being certified Gold by the RIAA in November of that year.
The compilation was released worldwide (as a limited edition in Europe, pressings for the album are still going strong in Latin America, Asia and New Zealand to this day) and was a huge success in New Zealand, reaching No. 1 on the Official Albums Chart. It went on to sell 140,000 copies being certified 9× Platinum. In Australia, the album ensured platinum sales over 70,000 copies. The album was promoted in Latin America as well. Williams recorded a Spanish version of his hit "Angels" and it was included as a bonus track on the album and then released as a single (almost two years after its original release in English). The Spanish version was a substantial hit in most Latin American countries, but as the single had already been big in 1997, most video and radio outlets focused on the tracks from his album I've Been Expecting You. Despite this, the compilation proved to be a medium success giving him Gold sales in Mexico and Argentina. It has sold over 1 million copies worldwide.
|The Ego Has Landed|
|6.||"Win Some Lose Some"||
|7.||"Let Me Entertain You"||
|8.||"Jesus in a Camper Van"||
|9.||"Old Before I Die"||3:53|
|12.||"She's the One"||Karl Wallinger||4:18|
|14.||"One of God's Better People"||
"One of God's Better People" runs 3:36. After 10 minutes of silence, Williams recites a poem called "Hello Sir", addressed to an unknown man who apparently berated him for wanting to become a pop singer.
|Australian Albums (ARIA)||20|
|Canadian Albums (Billboard)||17|
|New Zealand Albums (RMNZ)||1|
|US Billboard 200||63|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Platinum||100,000^|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||9× Platinum||135,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Allmusic review
- Sheffield, Rob. "Album Review: Robbie Williams - The Ego Has Landed". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on 26 June 2007. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- Caufield, Keith (23 October 2006). "Ask Billboard: Rude Americans". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Archived from the original on 26 September 2007. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "RIAA's Gold & Platinum Searchable Database: Williams, Robbie - 'The Ego Has Landed'". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- New Zealand Albums Chart
- "Australiancharts.com – Robbie Williams – The Ego Has Landed". Hung Medien.
- "Robbie Williams – Chart history" Billboard Canadian Albums Chart for Robbie Williams.
- "Charts.org.nz – Robbie Williams – The Ego Has Landed". Hung Medien.
- "Robbie Williams – Chart history" Billboard 200 for Robbie Williams.
- "Argentinian album certifications – Robbie Williams – The Ego Has Landed". Argentine Chamber of Phonograms and Videograms Producers.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2000 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Canadian album certifications – Robbie Williams – The Ego Has Landed". Music Canada.
- "New Zealand album certifications – Robbie Williams – The Ego Has Landed". Recorded Music NZ.
- "American album certifications – Robbie Williams – The Ego Has Landed". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH