The Elder Sister
|The Elder Sister|
|French: La soeur aînée|
The Elder Sister (1869)
|Medium||Oil on canvas|
|Dimensions||130.2 cm × 97.2 cm (51.3 in × 38.3 in)|
|Location||Museum of Fine Arts, Houston|
The Elder Sister (French: La soeur aînée) is a painting by nineteenth century French artist William-Adolphe Bouguereau in 1869. The painting was acquired by the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston in 1992 as an anonymous gift. According to the museum web site, this was a gift of an anonymous lady in memory of her father. Since then, The Elder Sister has been a part of the permanent collection of the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston (in the "Arts of Europe" section). It has become one of the most notable highlights in museum's collection of paintings.
The painting shows a girl ("the elder sister") sitting on a rock and holding a sleeping baby ("the younger brother") on her lap, with a quiet rural landscape behind them. For this scene, Bouguereau's daughter Henriette and son Paul served as models. The beauty of the girl and her eyes, which are looking directly at the viewer, as well the balance of the composition, including positioning of the legs and arms of the children, demonstrate Bouguereau's academic painting style.
- Wissman, Fronia E. (1996). Bouguereau. San Francisco: Pomegranate Artbooks. ISBN 978-0876545829.
- Patricia C. Johnson (July 8, 1992). "MFA acquires four noted works/New pieces include paintings by Manet and Bouguereau". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved April 30, 2012.
- "William Bouguereau — The Elder Sister". The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. Retrieved April 30, 2012.
- "Teaching with Art — The Elder Sister". The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. Retrieved April 30, 2012.
- "100 Highlights of the MFAH". The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. Retrieved April 30, 2012.
- "William Adolphe Bouguereau — French painter, teacher, frescoist & draftsman". Art Renewal Center. Retrieved April 30, 2012.
- "Bouguereau, William Adolphe, 1825-1905. The Elder Sister". FRESCO — The Frick Art Reference Library. Retrieved April 30, 2012.
- "Brooklyn Museum — The Elder Sister, reduction (La soeur aînée, réduction) (ca. 1864)". Internet Archive archive.org. Retrieved April 30, 2012.
- The Elder Sister, 1869, William Bouguereau, Google Art Project, www.googleartproject.com