The Elements of Typographic Style
Cover of The Elements of Typographic Style, version 3.0 from 2004.
|Publisher||Hartley & Marks Publishers|
|Pages||254 pp (first edition)|
|LC Class||Z246 .B74 1992|
The Elements of Typographic Style is the authoritative book on typography and style by Canadian typographer, poet and translator Robert Bringhurst. Originally published in 1992 by Hartley & Marks Publishers, it was revised in 1996, 2001 (v2.4), 2002 (v2.5), 2004 (v3.0), 2005 (v3.1), 2008 (v3.2), and 2012 (v4.0). A history and guide to typography, it has been praised by Hermann Zapf, who said “I wish to see this book become the Typographers’ Bible.” Jonathan Hoefler and Tobias Frere-Jones consider it "the finest book ever written about typography," according to the FAQ section of their type foundry's website. Because of its status as a respected and frequently cited resource, typographers and designers often refer to it simply as Bringhurst.
The titles of the chapters in the book's fourth edition are as follows:
- The Grand Design
- Rhythm & Proportion
- Harmony & Counterpoint
- Structural Forms & Devices
- Analphabetic Symbols
- Choosing & Combining Type
- Historical Interlude
- Shaping the Page
- The State of the Art
- Grooming the Font
- Prowling the Specimen Books
In addition to these chapters, the book also contains five appendices, a historical synopsis, a foreword, and an afterword.
- First edition: Hartley & Marks Publishers, 1992, 254pp, ISBN 0-88179-110-5 (hardcover)
- Second edition: Hartley & Marks Publishers, 1996, 352pp, ISBN 0-88179-133-4 (hardcover), ISBN 0-88179-132-6 (paperback)
- Third edition: Hartley & Marks Publishers, 2005, ISBN 0-88179-205-5 (hardcover), ISBN 0-88179-206-3 (paperback)
- Fourth edition: Hartley & Marks Publishers, 2012, ISBN 0-88179-211-X (hardcover), ISBN 0-88179-212-8 (paperback)
- Hermann Zapf, as cited on the back cover of the book in version 4.0, ISBN 978-0-88179-212-6
- "Can you recommend any good books on typography?". www.typography.com. Retrieved 2014-10-13.
- Foreword to version 3.1, p. 9, ISBN 0-88179-206-3
- The Elements of Typographic Style Applied to the Web – an unaffiliated webpage applying the same principles to web typography
- A Classic Thesis style - An Homage to The Elements of Typographic Style – LaTeX and LyX template for dissertations, books and articles inspired by Bringhurst's book