Epistle of Ignatius to the Trallians
|Part of a series of articles on|
|Ignatius of Antioch|
|Ignatius of Antioch|
|Epistles of Ignatius|
|Epistle to Polycarp|
|Epistle of Polycarp to the Philippians|
The Epistle of Ignatius to the Trallians (often abbreviated Trallians) is an epistle attributed to Ignatius, a second-century Bishop of Antioch and martyr, and addressed to the church in Tralles. It was written during the bishop's transport from Antioch to his execution in Rome.
It is clear that Trallians was written soon before the martyrdom of Ignatius, but it is uncertain when precisely this martyrdom occurred. Tradition places the martyrdom of Ignatius in the reign of Trajan, who was emperor of Rome from 98 to 117 AD. While many scholars accept the traditional dating of Ignatius' martyrdom under Trajan, others have argued for a somewhat later date. Richard Pervo dated Ignatius' death to 135-140 AD, and British classicist Timothy Barnes has argued for a date some time in the 140s AD.
Trallians mentions the resurrection of Jesus in chapter (9:1-2):
- "Stop your ears, therefore, when any one speaks to you at variance with Jesus Christ, who was descended from David, and was also of Mary; who was truly born, and did eat and drink. He was truly persecuted under Pontius Pilate; He was truly crucified and died, in the sight of beings in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth. He was also truly raised from the dead, his Father having raised him up, as in the same manner his Father will raise up us who believe in him by Christ Jesus, apart from whom we do not possess the true life."
- "Spurious Epistles of St. Ignatius of Antioch" at NewAdvent.org
- Pervo, Richard I. The Making of Paul: Constructions of the Apostle in Early Christianity. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press. pp. 134–135. ISBN 978-0-8006-9659-7.
- Barnes, Timothy D. (December 2008), "The Date of Ignatius", The Expository Times, 120 (3): 119–130
- The Epistle of Ignatius to the Trallians 1.
- The Epistle of Ignatius to the Trallians 6-8.
- The Epistle of Ignatius to the Trallians 12.
- The Epistles of St. Ignatius, THE Epistle to the Trallians.
- Timothy B. Sailors, "Quotations of Polycarp’s Letter to the Philippians Preserved in Syriac," The Harp: A Review of Syriac, Oriental and Ecumenical Studies 27 (2012) pp. 335-342