The Ethical Slut
Cover of the first edition
|Author||Dossie Easton, Catherine A. Liszt|
|Cover artist||Brendan Husk|
|LC Class||HQ980.5.U5 E27 1997|
The Ethical Slut: A Guide to Infinite Sexual Possibilities is an English non-fiction book written by Dossie Easton and Janet Hardy (given as pseudonym Catherine A. Liszt for the book's first edition).
The authors define the term slut as "a person of any gender who has the courage to lead life according to the radical proposition that sex is nice and pleasure is good for you." The term is reclaimed from its usual use as a pejorative and as a simple label for a promiscuous person. Instead, it is used to signify a person who is accepting of their enjoyment of sex and the pleasure of physical intimacy with others, and chooses to engage and accept these in an ethical and open way—rather than as cheating.
The Ethical Slut discusses how to live an active life with multiple concurrent sexual relationships in a fair and honest way. Discussion topics include how to deal with the practical difficulties and opportunities in finding and keeping partners, maintaining relationships with others, and strategies for personal growth.
It contains chapters discussing how consensual non-monogamy is handled in different subcultures such as the gay and lesbian communities, information on handling scheduling, jealousy, communication, conflict in relationships, and etiquette for group sexual encounters.
In 2013, Ben Fritz (producer/director) raised funding privately and via Kickstarter to create an episodic web series inspired by the book with input from Easton and Hardy. By 2014, three seasons of The Ethical Slut, were released on YouTube despite struggles for funding during the second and third seasons. There are 38 episodes, ranging between 4 and 9 minutes. The series follows two female friends as they decide to explore open relationships with the aid of the helpful handbook, The Ethical Slut.
Co-author Dossie Easton reported in May 2007 that Easton and Liszt were working on a second edition of the book, including more communication exercises and information about polyamory communities on the Internet. It was published in March 2009 and is called The Ethical Slut: A Practical Guide to Polyamory, Open Relationships & Other Adventures. A third edition is to be released in August 2017 named The Ethical Slut, Third Edition: A Practical Guide to Polyamory, Open Relationships, and Other Freedoms in Sex and Love
The book has been translated and published in French in April 2013 under the title La Salope éthique: Guide pratique pour des relations libres sereines at Tabou Éditions. It was also translated in 2013 into Spanish under the name Ética promiscua at Editorial Melusina. In January 2014 an Italian translation was published by Odoya under the title La zoccola etica. Guida al poliamore, alle relazioni aperte e altre avventure. In May 2014 the German translation at mvg Verlag was published under the title Schlampen mit Moral. Eine praktische Anleitung für Polyamorie, offene Beziehungen und andere Abenteuer.
- Rufus, Anneli (31 January 2007). "Sluts and Pork Buns". eastbayexpress.com. East Bay Express. Archived from the original on 17 October 2007. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- Fritz, Ben (9 May 2013). "Ethical Slut". Kickstarter.com. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- Fritz, Ben (5 February 2014). "The Ethical Slut YouTube". youtube.com. YouTube. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- Fritz, Ben (8 May 2014). "The Ethical Slut, Season 2&3". Kickstarter.com. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- Fritz, Ben (27 August 2014). "The Ethical Slut GoFund Me". GoFundMe. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- "Broom Street Theater's "Multiple O" in Madison". eventful.com. 7 June 2008. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- Minx, Cunning (4 May 2008). "Multiple O: a play based on The Ethical Slut". polyweekly.com. Polyamory Weekly. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- Easton, Dossie. Interview. "Episode 110". Polyamory Weekly. By Cunning Minx. May 24, 2007. Quoted in "Upcoming Poly Books and Movie". Polyamory in the News. May 25, 2007.[dead link]
- "The Ethical Slut, Third Edition : Penguin Random House".
- Easton, Dossie; Hardy, Janet. "La Salope Éthique". tabou-editions.com (in French). Tabou. ISBN 9782915635768. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- Easton, Dossie; Hardy, Janet W. (June 2013). "Ética promiscua". melusina.com (in Spanish). Melusina. ISBN 978-84-96614-89-5. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- Easton, Dossie; Janet, Hardy. "La Zoccola Etica". odoya.it (in Italian). Odoya. ISBN 978-88-6288-205-7. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- Easton, Dossie; Hardy, Janet. "Schlampen mit Moral". m-vg.de (in German). WVG Verlag. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: The Ethical Slut|