|Race type||Thoroughbred flat|
|Qualification||$600,000 entry fee|
|Weight||Weight for Age|
|Purse||$13 million (2018)|
The Everest is an Australian Turf Club Weight for Age Thoroughbred horse race run over 1,200 metres on turf at Randwick Racecourse in Sydney, Australia. Run for the first time in 2017, it is not yet eligible for Group race status.
With prize money of $13 million , it is the richest race in Australia and the richest turf race in the world. It is held on the second Saturday of October as the feature race of the Sydney Spring Carnival.
The race has an unusual entry fee structure, similar to that of the Pegasus World Cup. Twelve "slots" are sold for $600,000 each, which represents a slot in the starting gate for a then unspecified horse. The slot holder then has the right to race, lease, contract or share a starter, or sell their place in the gate. For example, in the 2017 running, slotholder James Harron struck a deal with the owners of Redzel to use his spot to enter their horse, who went on to win the race.
Prior to the 2018 event, the race attracted criticism from the Australian public and media after organisers of the event successfully lobbied for the sails of the UNESCO world heritage Sydney Opera House to be used as an advertisement for the race. Protests against this proposal and government support of it were held at the Opera House along with submission of a petition with over 300,000 signatures collected in less than a week in October 2018, however the pre-race event still went ahead in a modified format.
|2017||Redzel||5||Gelding||Kerrin McEvoy||Peter & Paul Snowden||Triple Crown syndicate||1:08.36||12|
|2018||Redzel||6||Gelding||Kerrin McEvoy||Peter & Paul Snowden||Triple Crown syndicate||1:12.03||12|
- "Everest turnover smashes records". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 22 October 2017.
- "Everest Prize Money increase". JustHorseRacing. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- The Everest, World's Richest Turf Event Australian Turf Club 1 February 2017
- Royal Randwick to host $10m Everest spring at Spring Carnival - making it the richest race on turf Fox Sports 1 February 2017
- The Everest: Sydney to hold the richest turf race in the world ABC News 2 February 2017
- "Redzel climbs to seal Everest". The Courier-Mail. Retrieved 22 October 2017.
- "Opera House brand guru delivers Everest-sized slap in face to Racing NSW". www.9news.com.au. Retrieved 2018-10-09.
- Pitt, Helen (2018-10-09). "Sydney Opera House 'action' to deflect Everest light show". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2018-10-09.
- "How the Everest Opera House showdown will play out". NewsComAu. Retrieved 2018-10-09.
- Race 8 The Everest Racing Australia 14 October 2017
- "Redzel reigns supreme again in The Everest". www.racenet.com.au. Retrieved 13 October 2018.