The Explorers Club (band)
|The Explorers Club|
|Origin||Charleston, South Carolina, South Carolina, United States|
|Genres||Pop rock, rock and roll, surf rock, Pop|
|Years active||2005 – present|
|Labels||Dead Oceans, Rock Ridge Music|
|Past members||Wally Reddington
The Explorers Club are a Pop rock band originally from the coast of South Carolina. They are a 5-man band whose debut album was released by Dead Oceans. The music of their first album is heavily influenced by the vocal harmony styles and production of The Beach Boys. They are also influenced by classic rock and roll arrangements as made popular by The Beatles, Chuck Berry, Phil Spector, The Zombies, The Monkees and The Byrds. Their second album shows more influences of soft-pop artists of the early-1970s such as Burt Bacharach, Glen Campbell, etc. The band relocated to Nashville, TN in 2014 and released their third studio album Together on June 24, 2016
The Explorers Club was formed in Charleston, South Carolina in 2005. The group signed with indie record label Dead Oceans in June 2007 and released their debut album in 2008. Their first single, "Do You Love Me?", was released in April of that year. The Explorers Club's music has been featured on TV shows such as The O.C., How I Met Your Mother, and Bored to Death. Several members of The Explorers Club were previously in a band called 1984. To promote the February 2012 release of Grand Hotel, the band released three free EPs called "suites", each containing a cover and two preliminary mixes of tracks set to appear on the album. The final mixes for the album were done by Mark Linett, who is known for his work with The Beach Boys. In 2014 and 2015, the band recorded their third studio album, Together, at Reel Recording in Nashville, TN. The album featured members of Brian Wilson's band, Nelson Bragg, Probyn Gregory, Scott Bennett, and Darian Sahanaja, and was co-produced by Jason Brewer, Mark Galup, and Erik Thompson. Together was released on June 24, 2016.
- Freedom Wind - Dead Oceans, 2008
- Grand Hotel - Rock Ridge Music, 2012
- TOGETHER - Goldstar Recordings, 2016
- Oblitus Sum Perpolire Clepsydras - self-released, 2006
- The Explorers Club - self-released, iTunes, 2006
- The Californian Suite - Rock Ridge Music, 2011
- The Carolinian Suite - Rock Ridge Music, 2011
- The New Yorker Suite - Rock Ridge Music, 2011
- All Aboard: Live at Patriots Point, 2015
- Do You Love Me? / Carry Me - Dead Oceans, 2008
- In 2012 the band recorded a version of Don't Pull Your Love for a fund raising cd titled "Super Hits Of The Seventies" for radio station WFMU.
- No Good to Cry, 2012
- Don't Waste Her Time, Burger Records, 2013
- Christmas Must Be Tonight, 2013
- We've Only Just Begun, 2014
- Freedom Wind | Pitchfork
- Muzzle of Bees | Music Blog » The Explorers Club :: Freedom Wind
- The Explorers Club | Spin Magazine Online
- The Explorer's Club - Freedom Wind : Each Note Secure
- Heller, Jason (16 June 2008). "The Explorers Club: Freedom Wind". A.V. Club. Retrieved 2011-12-22.
- Harr, Dan (1 September 2011). "The Explorers Club welcomes Mark Linett For Mixing Duties on New Album". Music News Nashville. Retrieved 2011-12-22.
- Smith, Kelly Rae. "The Explorers Club reincarnated makes a new record with the help of Brian Wilson band members". Charleston City Paper. Retrieved 2016-11-14.
- "HARMONIOUS ONCE AGAIN | Medleyville". medleyville.us. Retrieved 2016-11-14.
- "Together - The Explorers Club | Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-11-14.
- Goodman, William (7 March 2008). "The Explorers Club". Spin. Retrieved 2008-03-25.