The Fall of the Towers
Covers of first omnibus edition
|Author||Samuel R. Delany|
|Cover artist||Kelly Freas|
|Media type||Print (Paperback)|
First published in omnibus form in 1970, the trilogy was originally published individually as Captives of the Flame (1963, rewritten as Out of the Dead City in 1968), The Towers of Toron (1964), and City of a Thousand Suns (1965). The first two books were somewhat rewritten for the omnibus edition. Delany describes the extent of the rewriting in a final note in the one-volume text.
The stories of the Fall of the Towers trilogy were originally set in the same post-holocaust Earth as Delany's earlier The Jewels of Aptor; however, linking references were removed in later revised editions.
- Notes on Revision - essay by Samuel R. Delany
- Prologue - essay by Samuel R. Delany
- Out of the Dead City (1966) (aka Captives of the Flame, 1963)
- The Towers of Toron (1964)
- City of a Thousand Suns (1965)
- Epilogue (1964) - essay by Samuel R. Delany
- Afterword (1964) - essay by Samuel R. Delany
- Barbour 1979, p. 162.
- Tuck 1974, p. 136.
- Clute and Nicholls 1995, p. 316.
- Barbour, Douglas (1979). Worlds Out Of Worlds: The SF Novels of Samuel R. Delany. Frome, Somerset, UK: Bran's Head Books Ltd. ISBN 0-905220-13-7.
- Clute, John; Nicholls, Peter (1995). The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction (2 ed.). New York: St. Martin's Griffin. ISBN 0-312-13486-X.
- Tuck, Donald H. (1974). The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy. Chicago: Advent. ISBN 0-911682-20-1.
|This article about a 1960s science fiction novel is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See guidelines for writing about novels. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.