The Family Way (soundtrack)
|The Family Way|
|Soundtrack album by the George Martin Orchestra|
|Released||6 January 1967 (UK)
12 June 1967 (US)
|Label||Decca (SKL 4847) (UK)
The Family Way is a soundtrack recording composed by Paul McCartney, released in January 1967. The album is the soundtrack to the 1966 film of the same name, directed by Roy Boulting and starring Hayley Mills. Produced and arranged by George Martin, the album was credited to "The George Martin Orchestra" and issued under the full title The Family Way (Original Soundtrack Album). A 45rpm single, again credited to the George Martin Orchestra, was issued on 23 December 1966, comprising "Love in the Open Air" backed with "Theme From 'The Family Way'", as United Artists UP1165.
The recording took place over November and December 1966, before the Beatles began work on their album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. McCartney's involvement in the project was minimal, according to biographer Howard Sounes, who quotes Martin's recollection that he had to "pester Paul for the briefest scrap of a tune" with which to start writing the score. After McCartney had provided "a sweet little fragment of a waltz tune", Martin continued, "I was able to complete the score."
Although The Family Way was released in January 1967, most commentators consider George Harrison's Wonderwall Music (1968), also a film soundtrack, to be the first solo album by a member of the Beatles. Unlike with McCartney's film score, Harrison directed and produced the recordings for Wonderwall Music, in addition to playing on some of the album.
Following a 2003 CD reissue in mono, in 2011 a new remastered version of the soundtrack was released by Varese Vintage that featured the original 1967 score by Paul McCartney in the original sequence, remastered from the original first generation stereo master tapes, and included the unreleased stereo mix of "A Theme From The Family Way" as a bonus track, which had appeared originally as the B-side of the 1966 UK/US 7-inch single by the Tudor Minstrels.
Track listing, original 1967 soundtrack album
- Side One
- The Family Way
- Side Two
- The Family Way
Track listing, 2011 CD reissue
- Cue 2M1 / 2M4
- 5M1 / 11M3
- 6M4 / 7M2
- 6M2 / 1M2
- 10M1 / 6M3 / 4M1 / 1M3 / 1M4
- Love in the Open Air (7M3)
- 11M1 / 11M2 / 10M3 / 8M1
- Theme from The Family Way
- AllMusic review
- Male, Andrew (January 2012). "Soundtracks: Paul McCartney The Family Way". Mojo. p. 93.
- Castleman, Harry; Podrazik, Walter J. (1976). All Together Now: The First Complete Beatles Discography 1961–1975. New York, NY: Ballantine Books. p. 61. ISBN 0-345-25680-8.
- Miles, Barry (2001). The Beatles Diary Volume 1: The Beatles Years. London: Omnibus Press. p. 253. ISBN 0-7119-8308-9.
- Castleman, Harry; Podrazik, Walter J. (1976). All Together Now: The First Complete Beatles Discography 1961–1975. New York, NY: Ballantine Books. p. 58. ISBN 0-345-25680-8.
- Sounes, Howard (2010). Fab: An Intimate Life of Paul McCartney. London: HarperCollins. p. 158. ISBN 978-0-00-723705-0.
- Sounes, Howard (2010). Fab: An Intimate Life of Paul McCartney. London: HarperCollins. p. 159. ISBN 978-0-00-723705-0.
- Spizer, Bruce (2005). The Beatles Solo on Apple Records. New Orleans, LA: 498 Productions. p. 206. ISBN 0-9662649-5-9.