The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark
|The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark|
|Studio album by Dillard & Clark|
|Genre||Country rock, progressive bluegrass|
|Dillard & Clark chronology|
The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark is a country rock album by Dillard & Clark. The album was recorded in 1968, shortly after Gene Clark departed The Byrds for the second time, and Doug Dillard left The Dillards. The album is hailed by critics and musicians as a masterpiece of the country rock genre.
Clark's debut solo album, Gene Clark with the Gosdin Brothers, had been a commercial failure. After the dismissal of David Crosby from The Byrds, Clark had rejoined his previous band but after performing only three shows, he left the tour due to his anxieties and fear of flying. He then signed with A&M and began sessions for his debut album on his new label with instrumentalist Douglas Dillard. Bernie Leadon co-wrote six of the songs and also performed on the album. Due to Clark's refusal to tour, only a short series of shows at The Troubadour was the only promotion for the album and it too was a commercial failure.
Music critic Matthew Greenwald, writing for Allmusic, called the album "perhaps [Clark's] most brilliant recording... Graceful, spellbinding, and tasteful all at the same time. Absolutely essential."
- "Out on the Side" (Gene Clark) – 3:49
- "She Darked the Sun" (Clark, Bernie Leadon) – 3:10
- "Don't Come Rollin'" (Clark, Douglas Dillard, Leadon) – 2:54
- "Train Leaves Here This Morning" (Clark, Leadon) – 3:49
- "With Care from Someone" (Clark, Dillard, Leadon) – 3:49
- "The Radio Song" (Clark, Leadon) – 3:01
- "Git It on Brother" (Lester Flatt) – 2:51
- "In the Plan" (Clark, Dillard, Leadon) – 2:08
- "Something's Wrong" (Clark, Dillard) – 2:57
The following bonus tracks have been included on CD reissues of the album:
- "Why Not Your Baby" (Clark) – 3:41
- "Lyin' Down the Middle" (Smith, Clark) – 2:17
- "Don't Be Cruel" (Elvis Presley, Otis Blackwell) – 1:53
Adapted from Discogs.
- Gene Clark - guitar, harmonica, vocals
- Doug Dillard - banjo, fiddle, guitar
- Bernie Leadon - banjo, guitar
- David Jackson - double bass
- Donald Beck - mandolin, fretted dobro
- Andy Belling - electric harpsichord (5,6,8)
- Chris Hillman - mandolin (7,9)
- Joel Larson - drums (1)
- Larry Marks – producer
- Dick Bogert – recording engineer
- Tom Wilkes – art direction
- Guy Webster – photography
- Bob Garcia – liner notes
- Robertson, Ray (2016). Lives of the Poets (with Guitars). Biblioasis. ISBN 9781771960731.
- Greenwald, Matthew. "The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark > Review". Allmusic. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- Bickhart, Jim (15 February 1969). "Records". Rolling Stone. San Francisco: Straight Arrow Publishers, Inc.
- Rogan, Johnny. (1998). The Byrds: Timeless Flight Revisited (2nd ed.). Rogan House. p. 483. ISBN 0-9529540-1-X.
- "Dillard & Clark - The Fantastic Expedition Of Dillard & Clark".