Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|Edited by||David P. Berschauer and David B. Waller|
San Diego Shell Club (United States)
The Festivus is a publication about malacology and conchology published by the San Diego Shell Club in San Diego, California. Originating in 1970, the publication gradually became a peer-reviewed scientific journal.
The Festivus began as a club newsletter with Blanche Brewer as its founding editor in 1970. In 1976 Brewer was succeeded by Carole Hertz, and over the course of many years the journal became peer-reviewed under editor-in-chief Carole Hertz. In March 2014 Hertz was succeeded by Co-Editors David P. Berschauer and David B. Waller and the journal was completely revised in format and scope, moving from a monthly newsletter style to a quarterly scientific journal with expanded content, full color, scientific articles including new taxa, popular articles, and advertising. In its rebirth The Festivus uses a blind peer review process and has an expanded peer review board of professionals worldwide.
The journal was established in 1970 as a shell club newsletter, and gradually evolved to become a scientific journal which was published monthly from January through November each year until 2014 when it became a quarterly publication. Under the second editor Carole Hertz's guidance the journal grew into a scientific journal.
In February 2014, it was announced that The Festivus would, from that point on, be published quarterly in both electronic and print format, and that in addition to scientific articles, popular articles of general interest and advertising would be included. Hertz stepped down as editor. The first quarterly issue was published in May 2014, which for the first time included articles naming new taxa.
Occasionally, The Festivus has published book-like "Special Supplements" and books as "Special Publications". Some examples are:
- Superfamily, Muricacea: Catalogue of Coralliophilidae by Antony D'Attilio
- The recent molluscan marine fauna of Isla de Malpelo, Colombia by Kiestie L. Kaiser
- An atlas of Cowrie Radulae (Mollusca: Gastropoda: Cypraeoidea: Cypraeidae) by Hugh Bradner and E. Alison Kay
- Iconography of the Haliotis Species and Subspecies of Australia and New Zealand by Buzz Owen and Robert Kershaw
- The Living and Fossil Busycon Whelks: Iconic Mollusks of Eastern North America by Edward J. Petuch, Robert F. Myers, and David P. Berschauer
- "Pteropurpura (Pteropurpura) festiva". Hardy's Internet Guide to Marine Gastropods. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- Hertz, J. & Hertz, C. M. (2006). "The Festivus, the making of a scientific journal". The Festivus. 38 (5): 53–57.