The Firemen 2: Pete & Danny
|The Firemen 2: Pete & Danny|
|Publisher(s)||JP: Human Entertainment, NA: MonkeyPaw Games|
|Platform(s)||JP: Sony PlayStation, NA: PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation Vita|
Similar to the earlier game in the series, The Firemen 2 involves stopping a deadly fire, this time in a theme park on Christmas Eve. The game supports both single-player and co-op play. Players must put out small fires on the ground by spraying them with their hose, which only impede progress. Moving and tall fires can hurt the player and must be put out with a standard spray. A water bomb gives off a spray of water and puts out all fires in the vicinity.
Two firemen, Pete and Danny, are called in to respond to a fire in a high-tech amusement park where the robots have run amok and set fire to it. The robots in the various attractions appear as bosses, such as an animatronic T-Rex.
Fireman 2 was released in Japan on May 27, 1999 for the Sony PlayStation.
It was not released in the West until it was published by MonkeyPaw Games on January 28, 2014 on PlayStation Network as a digital download for the price of $5.99. However, the game was not localized and still retains its original Japanese voice acting without subtitles.
Jenni Lada of TechnologyTell rated the game a "B", saying it was a unique experience and praising the inclusion of a co-op mode, but criticizing its stuttering issues.
Conrad Zimmerman of Destructoid said he was "totally smitten" by the premise of "firefighters working together in a cooperative game" and said he wished he knew of its existence when it was released. However, Allistair Pinsof, of the same publication, called the game "lackluster".
Hardcore Gaming 101 called the game "rushed", saying it was "unfinished" and criticizing the removal of gameplay mechanics from the first game.
- "Hardcore Gaming 101: The Firemen". www.hardcoregaming101.net. Archived from the original on 2017-07-26. Retrieved 2017-07-30.
- "MonkeyPaw Games Retro Rush Week 3: The Firemen 2: Pete and Danny". PlayStation.Blog. Archived from the original on 2017-08-05. Retrieved 2017-07-30.
- "The Firemen 2: Pete and Danny Review: You're on fire!". TechnologyTell. Archived from the original on 2014-02-27. Retrieved 2017-07-30.
- "ザ・ファイヤーメン2 ピート＆ダニー [PS] / ファミ通.com". www.famitsu.com. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- "The Firemen 2 coming to PSOne Classics". Destructoid. Archived from the original on 2015-09-06. Retrieved 2017-07-30.
- "Viewpoint". Gamefan. Vol. 4 no. 3. March 1996. p. 11.
- "Eight great SNES games that never made it to the U.S." Destructoid. Archived from the original on 2016-05-17. Retrieved 2017-07-31.