The First Day (David Sylvian and Robert Fripp album)
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|The First Day|
|Studio album by David Sylvian and Robert Fripp|
|Released||5 July 1993|
|Recorded||December 1992–March 1993|
|Genre||Alternative rock, progressive rock, experimental rock, electronic rock|
|Producer||David Sylvian, David Bottrill|
|David Sylvian chronology|
The First Day is the first of three collaborations between David Sylvian and Robert Fripp. It was released in July 1993 and was something of a departure from David Sylvian’s usual work. It is a combination of Sylvian’s deep, thoughtful lyricism and vocals with Fripp's atmospheric and idiosyncratic guitar work, along with overt elements of electronica (particularly downtempo), avant-garde, hard rock, and progressive rock.
It was released in two versions. A regular jewel case CD (CDV 2712) and as a limited box-set with eight photo prints (CDVX 2712).
All songs by David Sylvian (music & lyrics), Robert Fripp (music), and Trey Gunn (music), except where noted.
- "God's Monkey" (David Bottrill, Fripp, Gunn, Sylvian) - 4:58
- "Jean the Birdman" - 4:09
- "Firepower" - 10:25
- "Brightness Falls" - 6:05
- "20th Century Dreaming (A Shaman's Song)" - 11:50
- "Darshan (The Road to Graceland)" (Bottrill, Fripp, Gunn, Sylvian) - 17:17
- "Bringing Down the Light" (Fripp) - 8:31
There were 2 Single CDs with Outtakes from those sessions:
Single CD "Jean The Birdman" Virgin Records 1993 / VSCDT 1462 / 7243 8928208221 / PM 515
- "Jean The Birdman"
- "Gone To Earth" (new version recorded during the First-Day-Sessions)
- "Tallow Moon"
- "Dark Water"
Single CD "Jean The Birdman" Virgin Records 1993 / VSCDG 1462 / 7243 8928206128 / PM 515
- "Jean The Birdman"
- "Eartbound (Earthblind)"
Additionally, there was a Single CD with remixes:
Single CD "Darshan" Virgin Records 1993 / 7243839380 (25) / PM 520
- "Darshan (The Road to Graceland)" (translucent remix by The Grid)
- "Darshana" (Re-constructed by The Future Sound of London at Earthbeat Studios)
- "Darshan (The Road to Graceland)"
Personnel and production
- David Sylvian – vocals, guitars, keyboard instruments, tapes
- Robert Fripp – guitar, Frippertronics
- Trey Gunn – chapman stick, vocals
- Jerry Marotta – drums, percussion instruments
- Marc Anderson – percussion
- David Bottrill – treatments, sampled percussion, computer programming, engineer
- Ingrid Chavez – vocals
- Richard Chadwick - recording co-ordination
- Natasha White - recording co-ordination assistant
- Dan McLoughlin, John Yates, Mark Glass, Trina Shoemaker - assistant engineers
- Catherine McRae - design co-ordination
- Kevin Westenberg - photography
- Dave Coppenhall, Vaughan Oliver - design
- John Sinks - technical and strategic Liaison
- Prato, G. "The First Day - David Sylvian | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 26 July 2011.