The First Temptation of Christ
|The First Temptation of Christ|
|Directed by||Rodrigo Van Der Put|
The First Temptation of Christ (Portuguese: A Primeira Tentação de Cristo) is a 2019 Brazilian parody film produced by the comedy troupe Porta dos Fundos. It was released by Netflix on 3 December 2019.
Jesus returns home after 40 days in the desert, where a surprise 30th birthday party awaits him. At the party, Mary and Joseph reveal to Jesus that his true father is God. Although in real life, he already knew of it since birth.
- Gregorio Duvivier as Jesus
- Antonio Tabet as God
- Fábio Porchat as Orlando/Devil
- Evelyn Castro as Mary
- Rafael Portugal as Joseph
- Robson Nunes as Balthazar
- João Vicente de Castro as Melchior
- Estevam Nabote as Caspar
- Thati Lopes as Thelma
- Sura Berditchevsky as Tia Lupita
- Fabio de Luca as Lazarus
- Gabriel Totoro as Buddha
- Pedroca Monteiro as Shiva
- Pedro Benevides as Jah Rastafari
The Christmas special has faced backlash over its satirical depictions, which imply Jesus has a gay lover and Mary smokes marijuana. Over 2 million people have petitioned online for the show's removal and advocated boycotts of Netflix over "blasphemy"; the creators maintain the protests are homophobic.
On 24 December 2019, the headquarters of Porta dos Fundos in Rio de Janeiro was bombed with two Molotov cocktails. A Brazilian Integralist religious extremist group calling themselves the "Popular Nationalist Insurgency Command of the Large Brazilian Integralist Family" claimed responsibility for the bombing, even filming themselves attacking the offices while wearing ski masks; the group also criticized Netflix and labeled The First Temptation of Christ as blasphemous.
In January 2020, Dias Toffoli, the president of the Supreme Federal Court of Brazil, intervened on the attempted censorship of the film, overruling a judge from the Rio de Janeiro Court of Justice who ordered the film's withdrawal from the streaming platform.
- The Last Hangover (2018)
- Serba, John (9 December 2019). "Stream It Or Skip It: 'The First Temptation of Christ' on Netflix, Porta dos Fundos' Gleefully Blasphemous New Christmas Special". Decider. Retrieved 17 December 2019.
- Armus, Teo (17 December 2019). "'Gay Jesus' and a weed-smoking Mary: Brazilian Christmas parody on Netflix slammed by pastors, politicians". The Washington Post. Retrieved 18 December 2019.
- Clark, Travis (17 December 2019). "The star of Netflix's Christmas special featuring a gay Jesus called the backlash 'homophobic,' as a petition calling for its removal approaches 2 million signatures". Business Insider. Retrieved 18 December 2019.
- "Brazil police investigate fire-bombing of 'gay Jesus' film office". BBC News. 26 December 2019. Retrieved 27 December 2019.
- Hopewell, John (26 December 2019). "Gay Jesus Netflix Special Creators Suffer Molotov Cocktail Attack". Variety. Retrieved 27 December 2019.
- Londoño, Ernesto; Casado, Letícia (26 December 2019). "Firebomb Attack Ramps Up Controversy Over Brazil Film Portraying Jesus as Gay". The New York Times. Retrieved 27 December 2019.
- Petski, Denise (26 December 2019). "Gay Jesus Netflix Special Creators' Brazilian Headquarters Attacked With Molotov Cocktails". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 27 December 2019.
- Jeantet, Diane (9 January 2020). "Brazil's Supreme Court Allows Gay Jesus Film on Netflix". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 10 January 2020.