The Fletcher Memorial Home
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"The Fletcher Memorial Home"|
|Song by Pink Floyd|
|from the album The Final Cut|
|Published||Pink Floyd Music Publishers Ltd|
|Released||21 March 1983 (UK)|
2 April 1983 (US)
|Label||Harvest Records (UK)|
Capitol Records (US)
|Producer(s)||Roger Waters, James Guthrie and Michael Kamen|
|Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd track listing|
"The Fletcher Memorial Home" is a song by Roger Waters, performed by Pink Floyd. The song appears on their 1983 album, The Final Cut. It is the eighth track on the album, and is arranged between "Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert" and "Southampton Dock". The song is also featured on the Pink Floyd compilations Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd and A Foot in the Door – The Best of Pink Floyd.
The song is about Waters' frustration with the leadership of the world since World War II, mentioning many world leaders by name (Ronald Reagan, Alexander Haig, Menachem Begin, Margaret Thatcher, Ian Paisley, Leonid Brezhnev, Joseph McCarthy and Richard Nixon), suggesting that these "colonial wasters of life and limb" be segregated into a specially-founded retirement home. It labels all the world leaders as "overgrown infants" and "incurable tyrants", and suggests that they are incapable of understanding anything other than violence, or their own visages on a television screen.
- Mabbett, Andy (1995). The Complete Guide to the Music of Pink Floyd. London: Omnibus Press. ISBN 0-7119-4301-X.
- Strong, Martin C. (2004). The Great Rock Discography (7th ed.). Edinburgh: Canongate Books. p. 1177. ISBN 1-84195-551-5.
- "Echoes: the album credits". Pink Floyd. Archived from the original on 2 June 2010. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "A Foot in the Door: The Best of Pink Floyd - Pink Floyd | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 27 July 2017.
- The Fletcher Memorial Home by Pink Floyd, Songfacts.
- The Fletcher Memorial Home by Pink Floyd
- Schabe, Patrick (3 August 2004). "Pink Floyd: The Final Cut". PopMatters. Retrieved 27 July 2017.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: The Final Cut (album)|
|This 1980s rock song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|